Irrlicht 1.6 released!

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
PI

Irrlicht 1.6 released!

Post by PI »

Thank all of you guys for this great stuff!
I'm stunned. There's about 19 pages of bug fixes, changes and new features. A ton of work inside. I'm still just reading them!
I really like the new tutorials, too!
Why don't you have a forum topic for new releases?

Cheers,
PI
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Good point! We overlooked the forum, I'll sticky this thread :)

blog-spam: I've compiled a readable list of some of the new features, this doesn't include the (literally) hundreds of fixes and careful changes that hybrid has added over the months:

http://bitplane.net/2009/09/irrlicht-1-6-released/

As we've now released the feature freeze is off and we're accepting feature requests and patches again!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

kudos to irrDevs. good job! 8)
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Amazing Job!
Nicely done.

R.e.s.p.e.c.t!
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

bitplane, really awesome post on the blog.

Team, awesome job as always!
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

yeah Irrlicht 1.6 is [false mod edit] too good that there isnt a word for it...
PI

Post by PI »

Thanks for the great blog-post!
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

you know that it kept me from sleeping last night !
I had to play with it and add it to my irrlicht list, gotta catch them all !
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

bitplane wrote:Good point! We overlooked the forum, I'll sticky this thread :)

blog-spam: I've compiled a readable list of some of the new features, this doesn't include the (literally) hundreds of fixes and careful changes that hybrid has added over the months:

As we've now released the feature freeze is off and we're accepting feature requests and patches again!
FINALLY someone mentions the FP render targets. I thought everyone forgot after seeing the front page, Niko's list and the change list itself without a mention of this feature.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

BlindSide wrote:
bitplane wrote:Good point! We overlooked the forum, I'll sticky this thread :)

FINALLY someone mentions the FP render targets. I thought everyone forgot after seeing the front page, Niko's list and the change list itself without a mention of this feature.

seems like you guys puted allot of work into it...
wel i dont know what a fp render target is so all in all i sayed a big thanks :)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Haha those were thanks to Nadro, it credits him in the ECF color defines for the floating point enums.

We already have a gigantic list of wanted features for the next release and it's probably gonna be a long time till then, so it's good that the dev team crammed so much in this one to keep everyone's thirst satiated. Some features even I was waiting for a long time and didn't realise they got implemented until this release announcement.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
matgaw

Post by matgaw »

How about API on the main page? Someone forgot to update it after 1.6 release :)
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Nice, nice... :D

EDIT: Hmm... just compiled my project with the new version and it runs slower. The framerate dropped from 107 to 76 in test 1, and from 68 to 52 in test 2. This is some big drop. As a whole I have one 2-3k level mesh, two animated skinned models = up to 12k tris total, half of them skinned and some simple class objects. What could be the reason? :?
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

shadowslair wrote:Nice, nice... :D

EDIT: Hmm... just compiled my project with the new version and it runs slower. The framerate dropped from 107 to 76 in test 1, and from 68 to 52 in test 2. This is some big drop. As a whole I have one 2-3k level mesh, two animated skinned models = up to 12k tris total, half of them skinned and some simple class objects. What could be the reason? :?
I believe the octree is currently broken in 1.6, so the only PVS culling you get is per-object against the frustum. The octree in 1.6 traverses it's hierarchy and then just renders all the geometry anyway; the hardware hint has been masking the lack of octree pvs by putting geometry in a hw buffer. This is a known issue that I reported many months ago as broken in SVN.

This may or may not be your specific issue.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Thanks for the answer, sio2. Unfortunately, I`m not using any octree for the tests for the same reason. There must be sth else and I just cannot figure out, and such a drop is sth that really worries me. :?
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."