Why so many people use MSVC?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Repgahroll

Post by Repgahroll »

@vins: I know the EE is free but it doesn't have a lot of important features.

I'm still downloading but the thing is a little bit slow (@340KB/s) i don't know why they don't release only the MSVC... you have to download the whole MSVS (3.4GB)... and they limit the bandwidth =/.
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

BTW, i thought the Express Edition was fully functional Sad , only limited for non-commercial works
really?
Repgahroll

Post by Repgahroll »

Lil Margin wrote:really?
aham! - what's the problem??

I concluded that Visual Assist is AWESOME! :D :D

This is a good reason to use Visual Studio! Now i understand why some people use it... there's nothing better than VS to program for Windows... if someone program only for Windows he should use VS :)

However, it isn't easy to set up GCC and it's bloated... man it was necessary to install the whole VS (8GB)... i could not choose which component to install... after the installation is possible to uninstall some componentes.

Also, the only native feature that isn't Windows-only and is better than C::B (gcc) is the debugging... man! It's really superior!

Okay, the VA is really intelligent and for sure the best autocompletion system ever by far, it autocompletes almost everything. I'm impressed, and for sure i'll use it until the trial expires :) but just a superior autocompletion system and better debuggins aren't enough to make me pay that amount of money. I need more reasons :D.

I'll try to learn a bit Qt also, is it possible to build the gui inside VS?

And, are you sure that these autocompletions will not induce me to program window-only code?

Thanks!
haffax

Post by haffax »

Lil Margin wrote:
BTW, i thought the Express Edition was fully functional Sad , only limited for non-commercial works
really?
No.
Visual Studio Express FAQ wrote: Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions.
Repgahroll

Post by Repgahroll »

Yes, the express edition has little features and is almost totally free to use.

I though it was a fully-featured MSVC version that could only be used for non-commercial works... i thought it was exactly the same app with other license. But MSVC (full) is many times better.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Ah yes of course. The debugger. It got so natural for me that I tend to forget that other debuggers are harder to use ^^

You can build a Qt GUI inside VS if you use the Qt integration (look on the Qt website. A bit hard to find)

And the code completion only completes code you would have written anyway. So unless you write platform specific code VA won't insert it ;)
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
torleif

Post by torleif »

MSVC is a great integrated solution, I often use it because I'm too lazy to get DX8 to link.

Lately I've been getting into MSYS-MinGW. It's great because you can use makefiles and scripts to streamline development. You can also use this system to easily port applications from windows to UNIX - Mac OS X with minimal effort

MakeFiles confuse me, often I'll resort to writing writing a bash script to compile my application. This way I can put in a switch to jump between mac, linux or windows with one script
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

I use code::blocks and gcc. I switched to VC some time ago (because of and ODE issue) and ran into the "installation not properly" (don't know the engisch version of that error message) that has something to do with the DLLs and wrong versions and such. I tried to get it right, and didn't manage to, so I switched back to gcc that doesn't care for such a lot of "versions". I prefer code::blocks, because I simply like it, and I like using the gcc because it was my first C-Compiler (back in the DOS-ages ... came with my first "programming in C/C++" book). I use VC only to compile my IrrEdit plugins and ignore all those warnings it shows when using "sprintf" and some other functions i really like.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

These "version errors" come from deploying the debug build or if the user hasn't installed the right distributable package.

And of course it shows a warning for sprintf. If you use it under C++ (which is not necessary) you would use snprintf.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

one day i took an old game of mine to my friend's house to try running on his PC and found out that VC compiled programs require .NET framework to run. my friend's house didn't have internet back then, so we couldn't run the game at all.

after that i tried compile it using code::blocks + mingw it doesn't have such problem anymore.
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

@Virion,
you can disable such compile settings, my programs never need .net ;) and i'm using VS
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

strong99 wrote:@Virion,
you can disable such compile settings, my programs never need .net ;) and i'm using VS
never knew that, though :o thx for the info
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Sylence wrote:Ah yes of course. The debugger. It got so natural for me that I tend to forget that other debuggers are harder to use ^^
You don't need a good debugger if you can get it right the first time!
However, it isn't easy to set up GCC and it's bloated... man it was necessary to install the whole VS (8GB)... i could not choose which component to install... after the installation is possible to uninstall some componentes.

How can you say GCC is bloated when your comparing it to 8GB of junk! MSVC is complete trash imho, it teaches you how to program wrong and Windows flat out is a horrible OS.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

I’m sorry but everyone should avoid visual assist. If you decided to ever go pro and you admit to using this app you will not be hired I guarantee you. Visual Assist is not the reason to use visual studio. You should use visual studio becuase its the best. The debugger is amazing. Anyone who claims theres a free ide out there that can do what visual studio can obviously does not know the full extent of visual studio.
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

wildrj wrote:I’m sorry but everyone should avoid visual assist. If you decided to ever go pro and you admit to using this app you will not be hired I guarantee you.
And why should this be?
If I code two times faster with VA I doubt my employer will say anything against it !?