MD3 exported from gmax not casting shadows

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
MarvLeonidasX

MD3 exported from gmax not casting shadows

Post by MarvLeonidasX »

I have a simple .bsp level which loads and show textures with no problems. I have three different models:

1) A medium-polygon animated character (.md3).
2) A low-poly non-animated statue (.md3).
3) Another low-poly non-animated statue (.3ds).

Neither of the .md3 models will cast shadows, while the .3ds model casts shadows just fine. I am using the same settings/code for all three models. I tried swapping the .md3 models and .3ds model with the same results: .3ds casts shadow and .md3 doesn't.

For the .md3 models I used gmax and the Pop'N'Fresh exporter. I downloaded the .3ds model from a 3d modeling website. So I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the exported .md3's? I also tried "normalizing the normals" with no visible effect.

Thanks in advance for any help.
"Mission failed: Your team was wiped out."
MarvLeonidasX

Post by MarvLeonidasX »

Okay, so its not just my .md3's. I used an animated .md3 from Quake3 and still no shadows...
MarvLeonidasX

Post by MarvLeonidasX »

...sound of crickets chirping...

Okay, so I was looking into this further, and I noticed all the tutorial examples use .md2 and .x and .b3d formats...no .md3's. So now I have to ask a broader question: Is anyone using .md3's in their own projects? And if so, do you use shadows? Do they work?

I couldn't remember, so I started a game of Quake3 and noticed that the opponents only have the drop shadows (the round fuzzy blob underneath them).

So now I am looking for a an md2 exporter for gmax. Why gmax you may ask? I have worked with 3dMax for years now; its like an extension of my mouse-finger. But I am working independently now and am not a rich guy. I have tried Blender but the interface is so foreign to me that it would take me months (at least!) to become as proficient with it as I am with Max. I would rather spend that time making real progress on my projects.

So, there it is.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Sounds like a bug to me. I'll move it to the bug reports forum for now and then to the tracker if/when it's confirmed.

Edit: haven't confirmed it, but added to the tracker anyway so it doesn't get buried.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room