Help with irrlicht tutorial 1

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
WSPSNIPER

Help with irrlicht tutorial 1

Post by WSPSNIPER »

I need help, my screen flashes when I run the program and I have found it is caused because I can't load the image the code to load looks like

(../../media/sydney.md2)

and when I don't load the image and just show the screen with the hello world on it it runs fine so can anyone help thanks to anyone willing to help
andres
Competition winner

Re: Help with irrlicht tutorial 1

Post by andres »

Are you sure you can't load the sydney.md2 mesh? check the execution directory of your program.

and try change the render system, it maybe solve the flashes problem, replace the EDT_SOFTWARE to EDT_OPENGL.
Prof. Andres Jessé Porfirio
Federal Technological University of Parana (UTFPR)
www.andresjesse.com
http://irrrpgbuilder.sourceforge.net

Ameen

Re: Help with irrlicht tutorial 1

Post by Ameen »

andres wrote:Are you sure you can't load the sydney.md2 mesh? check the execution directory of your program.

and try change the render system, it maybe solve the flashes problem, replace the EDT_SOFTWARE to EDT_OPENGL.
I don't think the rendering system is the issue!
Because the EDT_SOFTWARE renderer must work all the time! It's slow but it supposed to work.
Breath your life into me..
EvilBob

Post by EvilBob »

The path is saying the file can be found by going up two directories, then down into the media folder. While this works if you are starting from the example folders in the irrlicht folder, it will not work if you are building your project in a different folder. If you are creating your own project by following the tutorials then your project folder is likely to be somewhere completely different. VS2008, for example, defaults to 'My Documents'.

Find the folder where your project is being built. Copy the 'media' folder from the 'irrlicht' folder into your project folder. Change;

Code: Select all

../../media/sydney.md2
to

Code: Select all

media/sydney.md2
This should tell the program to look in your current project folder for a subfolder called 'media'.

Hopefully that should sort it, but my apologies in advance if not.