Gmax + .x

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Brkopac

Gmax + .x

Post by Brkopac »

I was curious if anybody had any luck exporting from GMax to the .X file format. Its been really solid for me so far except for one big flaw, which is that it doesn't look like its wanting to export the weight data on the mesh. Therefore the bones moving without the skin. Anybody?

Brkopac
Image - The glory days.
MarvLeonidasX

Post by MarvLeonidasX »

I spent several hours searching for this very same solution once I discovered that md3's don't cast shadows in Irrlicht. Its seems like more than a coincidence that none of the formats Irrlicht (and ORGE for that matter) support can be exported from gmax. Except md3's and ye olde md2's. I would love to see support for nif or md5 meshes in Irrlicht.
"Mission failed: Your team was wiped out."
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

There is a MD5 loader being worked on for irrlicht which I have been playing with, but it has some issues. Curse you gmax and not providing exporters!
Image - The glory days.
Jallen

Post by Jallen »

Gmax is designed to be a modding tool. It's not for making models for your own games and applications, hence the lack of any non-proprietry formats.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

GMax was not a modding tool only, it was also aimed at students who would like to learn 3dsmax to be prepared for the industry (3d in general) without the price tag.

The EULA states you are not allowed to export without a licence to use it, you might as well just use a pirated 3dsmax and get all the features if you were going to disregard their intentional lack of exporters! The point was that the exporting ability is what gets licenced to a user as a "game pack".

Plus, i have seen .obj maxscript exporters, which can be used in gmax (if you are disregarding the EULA, of course).

I would suggest blender, its free and powerful.
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

FuzzYspo0N wrote:GMax was not a modding tool only, it was also aimed at students who would like to learn 3dsmax to be prepared for the industry (3d in general) without the price tag.

The EULA states you are not allowed to export without a licence to use it, you might as well just use a pirated 3dsmax and get all the features if you were going to disregard their intentional lack of exporters! The point was that the exporting ability is what gets licenced to a user as a "game pack".

Plus, i have seen .obj maxscript exporters, which can be used in gmax (if you are disregarding the EULA, of course).

I haven't disregarded the EULA, I'm using a gamepack that has the ability to export to the .X file type. But unfortunately the exporter doesn't seem to support weighing.
Image - The glory days.
Jallen

Post by Jallen »

Brkopac wrote:
FuzzYspo0N wrote:GMax was not a modding tool only, it was also aimed at students who would like to learn 3dsmax to be prepared for the industry (3d in general) without the price tag.

I haven't disregarded the EULA, I'm using a gamepack that has the ability to export to the .X file type. But unfortunately the exporter doesn't seem to support weighing.
If I've got this right, you are having trouble with the .x exporter which was included in a gamepack. But just to make it clear, it's a breach of the terms of the EULA to export from Gmax in ANY model format other than those which it supports by default, that includes exporters from gamepacks and things.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

But just to make it clear, it's a breach of the terms of the EULA to export from Gmax in ANY model format other than those which it supports by default, that includes exporters from gamepacks and things.
No ,the licence is AIMED at game packs. If you purchase the licence to a game pack, you may use gmax fully including exporting. That, and the official formats supported in the EULA.
Product manager Paul Perreault has publicly stated that "gmax is a tool to create 3d content—what you create with gmax is your business, not ours." He continues, "Discreet is not opposed to exporting data from gmax—provided Discreet is the decision maker about what formats are supported."[1] Export to the Quake 3 model format is officially supported by Discreet. Therefore using gmax to create and export models to the .md3 format does not appear to be a violation of the terms of the gmax EULA.
Though gmax was discontinued in 2005, i would still recommend using blender...
MarvLeonidasX

Post by MarvLeonidasX »

For legal reasons I understand why you wouldn't want to allow discussions of things that violate EULA's on your forums. However, I have noticed on several forums the trend for people to get their "feathers ruffled" anytime the subject of gmax exporter's is brought up. Its as if they have a personal stake in someone possibly violating the gmax EULA in the privacy of their home. I have jokingly wondered if these individuals are employess of the Autodesk 3d monopoly, or maybe just own stock in Autodesk. I guess the open-source community runs the gamut of personality types...
"Mission failed: Your team was wiped out."
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

lol, what? You kinda missing something key. Open source people would use something open source. WTF would you use something illegal when theres something free thats over 9000 times better? And if YOU dont care for licencing we dont actually care - my point comes up again - why stunt your growth with gmax when you can just as well pirate the full 3dsmax suite?

Also, this thread is about clarity, not personal views imo.