Problems with irrPhysX SDK

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Kirjuxa

Problems with irrPhysX SDK

Post by Kirjuxa »

Hi,

I downloaded the irrPhysX SDK and now i get some errors.
When I compile the Example: BoxesExample
then I get an error at line 159 that I cannont make an Instance of an abstract class.

paramChanger = new CGUIParamChanger(guienv, guienv->getRootGUIElement(), -1, core::rect<s32>(600,0,800,105));

I did not change anything at the source code that was with the irrPhysX

Can anybody help please, how I solve the problem?

Thanks
damn, it never works
Seven

Post by Seven »

what versions are you using?

irrlicht version #
physx version #
Kirjuxa

Post by Kirjuxa »

I am using Irrlicht 1.6
and the latest irrPhysX version
damn, it never works
JP

Post by JP »

You can't use IrrPhysx with a version of Irrlicht other than 1.5 and 1.4.2 currently, I've just not had a chance to upload a 1.6 compatible version.

So if you want to use IrrPhysx with Irrlicht 1.6 you'll have to recompile IrrPhysx linking it to Irrlicht 1.6.

There's also something in 1.6 that has changed for GUI elements which menghzu says can be fixed by commenting out the functions that the linker complains about:

1>CGUIParamChanger.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall CGUIParamChanger::getDrawTitlebar(void)const " (?getDrawTitlebar@CGUIParamChanger@@UBE_NXZ)

So for that linker error you'd comment out the function CGUIParamChanger::getDrawTitlebar in both the header and cpp file.

Apparently that works, I've not done anything with it myself.
Image Image Image
Kirjuxa

Post by Kirjuxa »

Well thanks for rapid answer but I get problem when i compile the boxesExample, i tried irrlicht v1.5, 1.4.2 my visual studio says to me the same error.

Perhaps I need to recompile my irrlicht versions(I am using the libs i have downloadet) perhaps its because of visual studio i dont know.

And do you perhaps know a site where i can find usefull PhysX and irrPhysX tutorials??

Thanks
damn, it never works
JP

Post by JP »

The Physx website has Physx tutorials and the IrrPhysx SDK has the only IrrPhysx tutorials that I'm aware of.

Looking at Physx tutorials won't help you use IrrPhysx though as IrrPhysx hides Physx away from the user to make it easier to use from an Irrlicht user point of view.

I don't know why you're having problems... You certainly shouldn't have the same problems if you're using Irrlicht 1.5/1.4.2 (with the correct version of IrrPhysx)... that makes me think you didn't correctly link to the older versions of Irrlicht and instead are still linking to 1.6.
Image Image Image
Kirjuxa

Post by Kirjuxa »

Well thank for rapid answer but I solved the problem:

For programming with irrPhysx i needed the ServicePack for Visual Studio 2008

After installing the SP1 all my Linking and Compiling problems were solved.

Probalby you should note that on your irrPhysx site.

And also: Big Thanks for irrPhysx it is very usefull and easy to use.
damn, it never works
JP

Post by JP »

Glad you're finding IrrPhysx useful and thanks for the feedback, I'll add that comment to the site when I get a chance!
Image Image Image