UV Mapping Programs

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Adler1337

UV Mapping Programs

Post by Adler1337 »

Does anyone know of any programs like 3D Coat, that lets you paint directly on your model, that are free? Or a program like UV Layout, that easily lets you flatten your model and texture it, but is free? I have already tried LithUnwrap, but it takes forever to unwrap and the unwrap usually looks like crap when it is done(at least for me anyway). I can model, animate, and program very well, but i find it very difficult to unwrap and texture my models and it is really slowing down progress on my game. :( Normally I would just buy either 3D Coat or UV Layout, but i don't have much money and i am trying to save up for a laptop.
multum in parvo
B@z

Post by B@z »

ultimate unwrap
its not free but well...

i dunno 3d coat but if you just want to flatten the map, you only have to make planar uv. lets say from front, then you can easily paint.
but i dont think thats a good idea, it would look ugly.
rather you should learn unwrapping, not a hard thing, just takes time xD

btw metasequoia pro version can paint on the model in 3D, but you need to get serial for that (buy.. or something xD)
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

Thanks for the reply.
i dunno 3d coat
3d coat can automatically generate a uv map for the model and then it lets you paint directly on the model. I have tried a similar program called Tatoo(only free for noncommercial use) but it doesn't generate the uv maps for you, you have to unwrap the model in another program and then paint on the model using Tatoo.
if you just want to flatten the map, you only have to make planar uv. lets say from front, then you can easily paint.
but i dont think thats a good idea, it would look ugly.
That's not what i meant by flattening. Take a look here to see what i mean.
rather you should learn unwrapping, not a hard thing, just takes time
I know how to unwrap(i have looked at tons of tutorials), the problem is that i suck at it. I'll try to unwrap something and i'll spend hours doing it and then it turns out like crap.
metasequoia pro version can paint on the model in 3D
Thanks, I'll look into it.
multum in parvo
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

UV Mapper classic on this page: http://www.uvmapper.com/
Wings3D (Modeler, but has excellent unwrapping abilities): http://www.wings3d.com/