IrrPhysx 0.2 - Nvidia Physx 2.8.1 wrapper

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
JP

Post by JP »

Last edited by JP on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

One: thanks for those who use it, even if I don't.
Second: BWAHAHAHAHAHAH. Figure it out from the quote :)
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

hahahahaha, that is a good one ;) only a professional can make something like that :)
JP

Post by JP »

Took me ages to figure out what on earth you were on about :lol:
Image Image Image
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

Yeah I could do with updating to Irrlicht 1.6....
No pressure, but when do you think the version for 1.6 will be done?
multum in parvo
JP

Post by JP »

The other night I had a crack at it and got everything compiling but I just need to sort out lighting issues in the cloth demo (not high priority, will give it a go but won't let it cause any delays) and the heightfield code needs some TLC as it seems it's changed a bit in Irrlicht so the IrrPhysx heightfield doesn't match up right with the Irrlicht one. So hopefully not too long now, hope to get some time over the weekend to give it a look.
Image Image Image
timetokill

Post by timetokill »

JP wrote:The other night I had a crack at it and got everything compiling but I just need to sort out lighting issues in the cloth demo (not high priority, will give it a go but won't let it cause any delays) and the heightfield code needs some TLC as it seems it's changed a bit in Irrlicht so the IrrPhysx heightfield doesn't match up right with the Irrlicht one. So hopefully not too long now, hope to get some time over the weekend to give it a look.

Thanks JP, can't wait to get a hold of it!

I do have a question for now though:

I have a system where I spawn in characters, then sometimes remove them, then spawn them in again. To do this I remove the physics bodies, move the Irrlicht scene nodes, and turn them invisible. When I want to spawn them in to a different location, I move the scene node to the spawn point and then generate the physics bodies again. This seems to be causing problems with characters getting thrown around the map the more that I do it.

Are the physics bodies storing their movement or something, and then that movement energy is getting released? I'm just baffled by it.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, some of my characters seem to fall through the map on occasion. Is there a way to enable a sort of "continuous" collision mode that could help prevent this?
JP

Post by JP »

Sounds like if you're re-creating the physics shapes each time then they should be fine and you shouldn't get them thrown around... Is it possible you're creating them inside other physics shapes? Maybe they're intersecting with your level geometry slightly?

As for things falling through the map... I've never seen anything like that happen personally but then I haven't used IrrPhysx on a large scale particularly... Is it possible there are gaps in your map? There are some Physx samples on continuous collision detection so I could take a look into it but you won't currently be able to turn it on in IrrPhysx yourself without changing the library.
Image Image Image
timetokill

Post by timetokill »

JP wrote:Sounds like if you're re-creating the physics shapes each time then they should be fine and you shouldn't get them thrown around... Is it possible you're creating them inside other physics shapes? Maybe they're intersecting with your level geometry slightly?

As for things falling through the map... I've never seen anything like that happen personally but then I haven't used IrrPhysx on a large scale particularly... Is it possible there are gaps in your map? There are some Physx samples on continuous collision detection so I could take a look into it but you won't currently be able to turn it on in IrrPhysx yourself without changing the library.

Thanks for the response.

It seems to me to be an issue with the recreation aspect. Basically, it gets worse every time I hit the "respawn" button. It's spawning the characters at the exact same locations, but each time the character starts higher in the air for some reason, and the chance of somebody being thrown off the map increases with each time I do it. It's pretty predictable in how it breaks down.

Fake edit: It was an error with my spawning code. I was continuously "spawning" some characters for as many spawn nodes as there were, causing some of them to be pushed out kinda far from the map. So totally user error on my part! :?

The falling through the world thing still happens though. And no, there aren't any gaps in the map, because it's a single mesh that they are running on. It only seems to happen after a jump, too... so I'm thinking that it's due to the character falling so fast that they go through the ground. Problem is, if I make them fall any slower they'll be far too floaty!

This was a problem I had with Newton as well, but was fixed with the continuous collision option. I saw that PhysX had it, I'd love it if you could make it work somehow... please? haha, sorry, I know I'm asking a lot.
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah I can look into the continuous collision stuff for you, no guarantees on when it might materialise though I'm afraid!

Hopefully this weekend I'll get some proper time to get versions of IrrAI and IrrPhysx out for Irrlicht 1.6 and look into working on the next IrrPhysx version too!
Image Image Image
timetokill

Post by timetokill »

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it, I'm having a lot of fun playing with Physx in Irrlicht :D
rootroot1

JP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help

Post by rootroot1 »

Please, Help me to understand how to create file like
platform_physx.ms3d which is in your game example....?????
JP

Post by JP »

Well the way I did it was to load up platform.ms3d (the render model, nice quality to look good when rendered) and then just build up some cube shapes around the platform shape to use less polys than in the render model. Then I deleted the platform.ms3d geometry leaving just the cubes that were needed to represent the platform physically.
Image Image Image
rootroot1

Thanks's for your answer, JP

Post by rootroot1 »

Thank you for your reply!! But do we have a more simple way
Without creating additional files with physical objects for TriMesh'es????

I want to unite examples using irrPhysX and irrAI simultaneously using + hl shaders .... I already have a project, but not already done yet,
because many technologies are still not understood by me ...:roll:

Thanks in advance ...
I apologize for my English, I'm from Ukraine)) :oops:
JP

Post by JP »

You don't need to have a seperate mesh for the physical representation of an object.. you can use the render mesh but often that will be less than optimal if the render mesh is a higher poly count than is necessary for the physical representation.

Are you basically wanting an automated way of getting a lower poly mesh? Some modelling packages provide that option so depending on which one you use you may be able to do that... Milkshape certainly has a tool in it which can lower the poly count of an object, though it's not always great.
Image Image Image