C++ compiler

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
siyuangao

C++ compiler

Post by siyuangao »

I am using Dev-C++ to compile my irrlicht projects right now, is it a good compiler?? Can you suggest some compiler that I could use?
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Dev-Cpp isn't a compiler but an IDE.
It's dead since 4 years or so. You should take a look at Code::Blocks or MS Visual Studio 2008 Express
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Josie

Post by Josie »

Sylence wrote:Dev-Cpp isn't a compiler but an IDE.
It's dead since 4 years or so. You should take a look at Code::Blocks or MS Visual Studio 2008 Express
Agreed. Code::Blocks is very easy to learn and takes a lot of the pain out of it. MSVC, traditionally, has been a great pain in the tail for beginners, but I have no experience with the Express editions.
siyuangao

Post by siyuangao »

BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Josie wrote:I have no experience with the Express editions.
I switched from Express to Ultimate (MS Bizspark deal) and noticed absolutely no difference. The compile speed was slightly faster and there were a bunch of new profiling options which I never use.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Josie

Post by Josie »

BlindSide wrote:
Josie wrote:I have no experience with the Express editions.
I switched from Express to Ultimate (MS Bizspark deal) and noticed absolutely no difference. The compile speed was slightly faster and there were a bunch of new profiling options which I never use.
Good to know. I was highly disappointed that the Professional Edition doesn't have a profiler. GDB/Valgrind is better anyways.
Krazoa

Post by Krazoa »

what is code::blocks?
I am the creator of Furzeon Realm and am new to all this stuff XD
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.