Dockable UI

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Geomaster

Dockable UI

Post by Geomaster »

Hey guys,

I am planning to create an Irrlicht based game IDE. The main idea is to avoid need for different tools and have about everything in one environment, like world/shader editor, material manager, tools for adjusting proportions and stuff... The IDE will be Windows-only (I've got no experience in coding for other platforms) and I'm using Visual C++. So... I've been playing around with .NET forms in VC++ 2008 and I find them very useful to use and very familiar to me (I've been using Visual Basic for a while) but what I need is way to create a good dockable user interface (dockable UI) - at least I think it's called that way, I mean windows that can merge into interface and can be either floating or "docked", and you can adjust the size/position of boundaries between them, like there is in popular tools like VC++, C#, Photoshop and loads of others... So, is there a good way to do it easily with Visual C++, or I must code that all myself?

Best regards,
Geomaster
jeetee

Post by jeetee »

[EDIT]
Misread the question, answer below is irrelevant. As I'm not familiar with VC++ and windows-specific code, I'm afraid I won't be of any help here..
[/EDIT]

From what I've experienced so far with playing with the irrlicht GUI is that it is still a basic GUI-system.
Dockable things will have to be written by you, however it does not seem really that hard to do, since there already is a tabbar-system implemented.

Now it comes down to implementing the drag-n-drop into your event-recievers..
Last edited by jeetee on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geomaster

Post by Geomaster »

No, I didn't wanted to use Irrlicht's GUI system, I wanted to use one with Windows forms because it will look most familiar to end-users. And how hard is it to write and is it worth it (i.e. do I get less use from it than time spent?)
I also remembered from VB6 that the dockable windows were called toolwindows, but "dockable UI" doesn't look like it's the real name for it, google doesn't show any good relevant results as it should for this important type of GUI (I guess...)

Regards,
Geo