AI Algorithms?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
MasterGod

AI Algorithms?

Post by MasterGod »

Hi. I want to include AI in my project and I know there are not few known algorithms but I don't know thier names.
Which are the most popular AI algorithms (Used in games)?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&q=ai+ ... arch&meta=
First two links will answer your question.
Fourth link is the best book on that topic.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
JP

Post by JP »

Well it all depends on what you want to do...

Pathfinding? That's done by using waypoints and any search algorithm you like (breadth first, depth first, A* etc).

I guess that's mainly what you mean right?

Other things are less set in stone and depend more on the actual project and what you want the NPCs to do... attacking, fleeing, resource gathering etc.

You can always check out my irrAI project either to use or get ideas from (no source yet but hopefully there will be soon).
Image Image Image
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

@ CuteAlien, thanks, I've found a lot of information there.
@ JP, Yeah I saw it, its pretty nice for begin stage but without the source I can't learn from it anything... After I'll look into the sites CuteAlien referred me to I believe I'll find the right AI for my project but I believe Pathfinding will surly be one of them.

Edit:
Thanks, these sites led me to even better sites. Found everything I needed, thanks again.
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

This is one of my favourite topics within game development, and I suggest you read some books about it.

Basically though, AI even to todays gaming standards is still not at it's peak, and it's AI that will have a greater impact on games in the future, think abount it, we have the graphics, sound, networking, gameplay etc but the games usually lack that "realism" which generally speaking comes down to the AI, what you want the players to think is "Is this really just a game? it felt so real!".

But back to your algorithims question, AI is a VERY complex subject so as stated before, read some books as it's not just something you can jump right into... but I'll give you some pointers on algorithims and basic techniques for AI in games.

Deterministic algorithms: Predetermined behaviors, random or
otherwise.

You may be thinking "what could I use this for within a game, right?" - well their are many things that can be done with this, but in it's simplest form, a good example would be using random motion with a deterministic algorithim and order let's say, to use AI in order to simulate a fly's behavioure... you could do this by rendering black pixels to the canvas, using the idea of random motion (changing velocity etc) on a mathmatically generated rendomized algorithim to use AI in order to make the flies seem realistic and that's all flies do, is fly around in random directions at different speeds, it's hardly impressive but it does the job, it makes the flies seem "Alive" and thus artificially intelligent.

That's something you should look into as a start into AI, oh, I have to say, when most people think of AI within a game, then generally just think "pathfinding" and that's it! well, while Pathfinding AI in a game is invaluble and defonately something any decent AI game programmer or otherwise should have under their belt, it goes way beyond that so don't just generalize some techniques, here a a few more things to look into, but one feel's it's not worth explaining these and it would take a long time and you really need to read up on AI.

Patterns and scripts: Series of actions determined by various inputs,
from you or (unknowingly) from the player

State machines: Behaviors based on conditions and results of game play
Neural Networks: Models of computation based on biological brain
functions
-System error
JP

Post by JP »

pssst this post is nearly a year old...
Image Image Image
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

Ah I didn't look at that so, I appologize, conversely I hope someone finds what I had to say was interesting and may learn from it.
-System error
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

@Systemerror: Hi! I'm still here, even a year later and I find it pretty interesting. Thanks!
3DModelerMan

Open steer

Post by 3DModelerMan »

There's open steer on the wiki site.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
kxiaocai

Post by kxiaocai »

Systemerror wrote:This is one of my favourite topics within game development, and I suggest you read some books about it.

Basically though, AI even to todays gaming standards is still not at it's peak, and it's AI that will have a greater impact on games in the future, think abount it, we have the graphics, sound, networking, gameplay etc but the games usually lack that "realism" which generally speaking comes down to the AI, what you want the players to think is "Is this really just a game? it felt so real!".

But back to your algorithims question, AI is a VERY complex subject so as stated before, read some books as it's not just something you can jump right into... but I'll give you some pointers on algorithims and basic techniques for AI in games.

Deterministic algorithms: Predetermined behaviors, random or
otherwise.

You may be thinking "what could I use this for within a game, right?" - well their are many things that can be done with this, but in it's simplest form, a good example would be using random motion with a deterministic algorithim and order let's say, to use AI in order to simulate a fly's behavioure... you could do this by rendering black pixels to the canvas, using the idea of random motion (changing velocity etc) on a mathmatically generated rendomized algorithim to use AI in order to make the flies seem realistic and that's all flies do, is fly around in random directions at different speeds, it's hardly impressive but it does the job, it makes the flies seem "Alive" and thus artificially intelligent.

That's something you should look into as a start into AI, oh, I have to say, when most people think of AI within a game, then generally just think "pathfinding" and that's it! well, while Pathfinding AI in a game is invaluble and defonately something any decent AI game programmer or otherwise should have under their belt, it goes way beyond that so don't just generalize some techniques, here a a few more things to look into, but one feel's it's not worth explaining these and it would take a long time and you really need to read up on AI.

Patterns and scripts: Series of actions determined by various inputs,
from you or (unknowingly) from the player

State machines: Behaviors based on conditions and results of game play
Neural Networks: Models of computation based on biological brain
functions
Thanks a lot, it's very useful for me. :D
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

well taking AI algorithms is just as making make your game , if u didn't get the 3d models from someplace :wink:
but well, the original idea would be only your own work