Mac OSX, Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 triple boot system?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
3DModelerMan

Mac OSX, Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 triple boot system?

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I'm building a system soon. And I want to have all those operating systems. The thing is, I saw that Mac OSX doesn't support the PowerPC platform. What does that mean? I thought that Intel processors and motherboards are PowerPC, but it clearly states on the Snow Leopard page that you need an Intel based system. It said Intel based Mac though, is there a different hard drive type that Mac requires or something?
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
sRc

Post by sRc »

PowerPC is a different CPU architecture than x86. Macs used to run on PowerPC processors, and then some years back they switched to Intel x86 chips. the newest versions of OSX they stopped compiling for PowerPC, and will only run on newer Intel Macs.

Incidentally, the XBox 360, PS3, and Wii systems run on PowerPC processors (original XBox ran an x86 processor)
Last edited by sRc on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
chris_heyes

Post by chris_heyes »

PowerPC and x86 are processor architectures. They are NOT the same. Have a look at the wikipedia pages for these architectures. PPC was used on old macs "PowerMacs". The "new" iMacs use Intel made x86 processors. Old Mac OS would only run on PPC; whereas new versions only support the x86 architecture. As far as I'm aware, you can run Mac OSX runs on any x86 / "x86_64" platform including AMD based systems, not just Intel.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Lol - 2 people replied already by the time I clicked on Preview ;-)

But I'm not sure about running Mac OSX really on any system. As far as I know the only official supported hardware is simply that which is sold by Apple. There are people getting it running on other systems, but it's not always working and it's not always easy from what I heard so far.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
chris_heyes

Post by chris_heyes »

Looking into this further... OSX seems to only run on Intel-based Macs out-of-the-box. You can "Boot Camp" an x86 Linux and Windows on a Mac but to run OSX on "non-Apple" hardware it looks like you need a modified version of OSX (search 'OSX86') which is available due to OSX's kernal being open-source. There has however, been some complaints by Apple about this... non of them standing up legally.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

you can run OS X on a lot of newer processors and machines HOWEVER this is NOT an easy task, and if you didn't know what a PPC was, you are NOT ready yet to attempt it. Learn on the subject, a lot, or have someone do it for you. It can possibly take weeks and be ready to manually edit drivers in the worst cases.
torleif

Post by torleif »

Keep it simple and have one OS, and put the others in virtual machines.