How do I use quark to make maps for the irrlicht engine?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

those aren't the textures i'm missing...................

I have copies of my texutures everywhere and it's not helping. Where is the irrlicht engine looking for these textures. This is day 3 of trying to get a map to work.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

those aren't the textures i'm missing...................
That textures must be missing... im sure.

Where is the irrlicht engine looking for these textures.
Irrlicht is looking here: textures/grass
And because these textures are linked in your bsp. Thats not an Irrlicht problem. The textures that are missing are linked in your bsp... i think you didnt assign your new textures correctly - or didnt remove the old ones.

And there is an edit function if you want to edit your last post :)
skel1

Post by skel1 »

deleted
Last edited by skel1 on Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

Ahem...

You should think about my remark using the edit button, because you posted three times in a row o.O You see? If you want to add something, and the last post is yours, you should use the edit button. Thats what i wanted to say. It was some kind of suggestion, i cant find a "negative manner" there...

I didnt accuse you of saying it was Irrlicht's fault. Its your interpretation, my intention was just to help you, show you the right way...

thirdly, i have the textures in a folder named textures all over the place. In the same directory, a directory underneath, i have the bmp files floating around in the same directory of the bsp file. Nothing.

I can just repeat myself.. perhaps you didnt assign the textures correctly in Quark or what app you use... i cant think of other ways, although there could be others of course.

Sorry, english is not my native language. Nevertheless i think you should calm a litte bit down and relax :) I just wanted to help...

Perhaps this can help: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=341
skel1

Post by skel1 »

sorry......... but my hair is on end trying to get this to work. I've been at this for three days now. I just want to be able to make a couple of small maps so i can tinker around with the engine, but it's turning to be incredibley difficult....

I'm not used to editing posts i come from different messages boad 8)

Any idea where I'm going wrong in quark then? I tried adding the .bmp extension to the names of the textures..... and that did not work either.

Also keep in mind I can't use any of the q3 tools (qbsp light etc) because I don't own a copy of quake3. I'm saving my map as a .map file, then converting it to .bsp using a utility i found on sourceforge. The converter says it's writing the texture information (along with brushes etc) without any errors.

But when i load the map, It's just blank white... and irrlicht says it cannot find the textures. Does this mean the textures should be included into the map? Is there a way for me to change this? I don't know what to do.

also,
i tried changing to software rendering but it didn't help.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

I worked with Quark a long time ago, so i cant help you that much, im really sorry. :(

Perhaps you could search a Quark Forum or post there? Someone must know how to handle that problem.

I have 3dstudio max, but it makes a horrible horrible level editor. I'm craving for something that works along the line of worldcraft if it exists.
Its not like Worldcraft, but perhaps you should have a look at other 3d apps like Wings3d (its free). I think its easier than 3dsmax and you could layout a level geometry very fast. Just my opinion.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

Thanks for the help you were able to give krampe.

I'm just going to hold off on my irrlicht project until i can get my hands on a copy of q3

Post by Guest »

*as skel1*

anim8or seems to have solved my problems