where is lod terrain?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
condrula

where is lod terrain?

Post by condrula »

hello is there the lod system in new release?
timmy

Post by timmy »

where is the lod terrain?

haha not it this release, i am very dissapointed in this release of irrlicht :cry:

have a look around in the forums, i can't remember where but it's in here,someone is writing a new terrain class that i believe uses the quadtree algorithm although it ain't released yet. I think it was in the project announcements part
bal

Post by bal »

Who cares about a fancy terrain engine? I want a stable and bugfree-engine, but I would like to see how Asteriks Man's project turned out (terrain class) :)
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

bal wrote:Who cares about a fancy terrain engine? I want a stable and bugfree-engine, but I would like to see how Asteriks Man's project turned out (terrain class) :)
lol :(
http://www.games-forge.de - Die Community für Nachwuchsprogrammierer
bal

Post by bal »

Peter Müller wrote:lol :(
I just wanted to say that a terrain engine might not be as important as some other features. Though, Asterik's one looked quite nice and I don't know why he stopped his project (I think he did because he doesn't repond) ...
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
condrula

Post by condrula »

[quote="bal"][quote="Peter Müller"]lol :([/quote]

I just wanted to say that a terrain engine might not be as important as some other features. Though, Asterik's one looked quite nice and I don't know why he stopped his project (I think he did because he doesn't repond) ...[/quote]

i dont remember well but someone says that the lod engine was in the "next" release..(0.7!!!)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Well, if it's not there... write one.

The way I've been making mine is via the ROAM 2.0 algorithm from the LaMothe series book "Focus on 3D Terrain Rendering".
Crud, how do I do this again?
timmy

Post by timmy »

is that the book trent pollack (spelling??) wrote? ...if it is, that roam 2.0 implementation needs alot of work and considering Mark Duchaineau has not yet finished roam 2.0 it's pretty hard to implement it all.

Better off following mark's website http://www.cognigraph.com/ROAM_homepage/ROAM2/ if you want to implement roam 2.0
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

ROAM 1 would be enought, there are 'tricks' to display dungeons in the with roam 1.
http://www.games-forge.de - Die Community für Nachwuchsprogrammierer
timmy

Post by timmy »

yeah very true peter,i think roam 1 would be better than what irrlicht has now but i also think geomipmapping or even quadtree is a better way to go until roam 2 is finished. Either which way VBO support in irrlicht is a must if we want to implement any of the above with decent frame rates.