Mysterious Shadow bits - in Irrlicht 0.6 and 0.7

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
rangle

Mysterious Shadow bits - in Irrlicht 0.6 and 0.7

Post by rangle »

I've noticed that when I run the Techdemo in 0.6 or 0.7 I get a strange artifact of a single shadow polygon that follows the movement of Sydney as she runs between the teleporters. If you stand near the metal sydney and watch regular Sydney run you will see it on the floor. You can also find it occasionally in other parts of the level sliding across the floor, even on different elevations. It is always the same polygon so I figure it has to be something about her mesh or the shadow routine or both.

I'm very excited to explore the new features of 0.7 so I'm off to try pixel and vertex shaders now that I've reported this.

Cheers,
Randy
rangle

More info on mysterious shadow bits

Post by rangle »

I was a bit wrong about the mysterious shadow bits, it actually is a very tiny complete shadow of Sydney and it actually animates. You have to look close but that is what it seems like.

-Randy
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

That's a standard stencil shadow caps-problem artifact. I'll fix it sooner or later. :)
rangle

Post by rangle »

Thanks for the reply, I figured I wasn't the first to mention it and assumed you would have a quick answer. :)

This version of the engine is working great for me and I've made several subtle changes for a project I'm starting. I'll try and post what I've done as it is completed.

Cheers,
Randy