AntiAlias in windowed mode

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
sylpheed

AntiAlias in windowed mode

Post by sylpheed »

I'm trying to activating AntiAlias in windowed mode using OpenGL. I'm using:

SIrrlichtCreationParameters param;
param.DriverType = EDT_OPENGL;
param.AntiAlias = 8;
device = createDeviceEx (param);

But it does not work. If I try with

param.DriverType = EDT_DIRECT3D9;

then it works. Am I missing something? In Nvidia control panel it is activated the option "Let the application decide" for image configuration.

Thanks!
Bate

Post by Bate »

According to the API the AntiAlias member is only used in fullscreen mode... so not sure how you can see Antialiasing even with Direct3D.
Never take advice from someone who likes to give advice, so take my advice and don't take it.
Escen
Competition winner

Post by Escen »

I'm using a windowed mode and OpenGL and I think I have visual result playing with AntiAliasing. No experience with Direct3D.

Did you check material settings?

Code: Select all

irr::video::SMaterial mt;
 mt.AntiAliasing=true;
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

You need to set the antialiasing both in the engine initialization, and inside the material definitions.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
sylpheed

Post by sylpheed »

According to the API the AntiAlias member is only used in fullscreen mode... so not sure how you can see Antialiasing even with Direct3D.
I thought the same, so I checked it again and it's true, AntiAliasing is there for DirectX in windowed mode.
Did you check material settings?
You need to set the antialiasing both in the engine initialization, and inside the material definitions.
Yep, I tried initializating Materials too, and it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: Por cierto Mel, saludos desde Sevilla :D
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

You aren't the only one with this problem. Anti-alias, for me, works only with Directx8/9. It could be your graphics driver simply doesn't support anti-alias for opengl.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Saludos Sylpheed, da gusto poder usar la lengua materna con la peña :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, fullscreen anti-aliasing could mean that it's only available for full-screen apps. For windowed mode, Irrlicht won't choose other modes, which can mean that anti-aliasing is not available if it's not available in the desktop mode. Depending on OS and driver settings, this can be the case, or just not. I don't see a way around this, because windowed mode is exactly meant for this - using the given desktop mode and live with the setting provided.