[In Development] Flames of Redfield

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
etal2009

[In Development] Flames of Redfield

Post by etal2009 »

Flames of Redfield
Idea Birth Announces New Investigative Mystery Game, Flames of Redfield

Idea Birth is proud to announce that it will begin development of Flames of Redfield. The game will be an investigative mystery first person shooter, taking elements of successful games such as Condemned and Grand Theft Auto. By adding a large emphasis on the psychological aspect video games, Flames of Redfield promises to -- if anything -- deliver an experience that will immerse the player in the depths of a murder mystery. Flames of Redfield will be released in December 21, 2012.

Flames of Redfield is a sandbox-style mystery first person shooter video game with role-playing elements developed by Idea Birth. The game takes place in the fictional town of Redfield in the late 1990's and follows an unnamed protagonist as he unravels clues to discover who murdered his wife, Miranda.

The premise of the game is to combine the positive aspects of various games to create a mystery genre video game. In order to do so, great detail must be paid to the storyline and the characters. Both must be equally believable and both highly fascinating. Believability will be maintained by creating psychological profiles of all characters, and through continually rewriting the script and biographies of characters. Characters should act naturally. Making the game fascinating will take not only believability, but immersion and re-playability. Each character should be unique and should drive the story forward with every time the player interacts with them. Immersion includes not only giving the player a large city as a sandbox, but giving them characters within that sandbox that they want to interact with.
Graphically, the game allows the player to feel as though the world is fluid to them. The graphics should give the player the feeling that they already know the city and the environment. The city layout is friendly to beginners, but will contain Easter eggs, secret locations, and etc. to allow experts to feel as though there is always something new to explore. Here is where the idea presented in "Left 4 Dead" comes in: random placement of characters, dialogue, and etc. give re-playability to the game while immersing the player in a game that requires them to always pay attention.
Another way to provide immersion into the game is yet another idea borrowed from "Left 4 Dead": custom music that fits the player's situation. The music track should follow the player, not the other way around (i.e. making the music force the player to do an action). In this way, the player feels as though they are driving the game -- the player can take what ever strategy they want.
In essence, the game will create an environment that makes the player feel as though they are the protagonist: from the moment our beloved Miranda is killed, to the moment we take revenge upon the killer, we feel the protagonist's emotions and thoughts. We are the protagonist (I cannot stress it enough).
In summary, the protagonist's wife is killed, causing him to go out for revenge. Different endings and outcomes occur due to the player's actions and the amount of evidence s/he collects, all within an impressive sandbox that changes with the player.

Here are a few screenshots from the prototype for the game that was created in about a week to demonstrate the Irrlicht Engine:

To keep updated on the development of this game, check out our blog at: http://flamesofredfield.blogspot.com/.
If you would like to contribute to the development of the game, check out our open development page at: http://flamesofredfield.wikispaces.com/
sudi

Post by sudi »

Always the same big sandbox game taking best parts from other games and making everything better.....yeah sry but i have read hundreds of thoose posts....without experience this will, if at all finished, take you forever and will not end up how you wanted it....
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I'd agree with Sudi, maybe ditch the sand box. I've played plenty of linear adventure/mystery games and enjoyed them thoroughly.
etal2009

Post by etal2009 »

The whole reason we started developing this game is because we were disappointed with mystery games and how linear and predictable they were -- offering no replay value whatsoever. That's why we decided to make the game a sandbox game. Sure, it won't end up exactly how we want it, but it's the experience that counts.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I think we Irrlicht-ers have a reason to doubt when we see a post like this. We've seen many started, and none completed. I don't think anyone here will tell you "You definitely can't do this," but what you describe would be difficult to pull off well even by a professional team. I'm not saying to give up, I'm giving a suggestion on ways to make it simpler in hopes you'll finish, cuz we rarely see any that do.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Well, at least your prototype screenshots already have a nice mood. So good luck :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Viz_Fuerte

Post by Viz_Fuerte »

:shock: OMG :shock:
The history and the type of game looks interesting.

Do not be discouraged by setbacks it out, do everything according to order :wink:
Lonesome Ducky@
...tell you "You definitely can't do this," but what you describe would be difficult to...
The truth, is very difficult but not impossible if you follow a proper order to the characteristics of the game, but almost always when trying to create a game so, they need help.. I have had the same problem starting some projects and I always discarded, but for now, I organize my job well.

Luck with your project and keep us informed. :)
Flames of Redfield will be released in December 21, 2012.
And with the release date "December 21, 2012",
ummm to 3 days of the destruction of the world (Assumptions), if errors come out... :lol:
pera

Post by pera »

I think Mark Collins is the murderer!

Tell us more about the team and that script thing?
etal2009

Post by etal2009 »

pera wrote:Tell us more about the team and that script thing?
We are currently allowing everyone to help with the script (we are still putting all the info we have written onto the wikispace). We decided that we will write a script for each suspect that makes them end up being the killer. We will then close the open script writing and will rewrite the scripts so that we can easily implement them in game. The suspect that actually committed the crime in the game will be decided upon a number of factors -- and a little randomness.

And the team:

Ivan Montiel: Programmer and Project Lead
Katelyn B.: 2D Artist and Concept Artist
Ryan P: Script and Character Writer
Joe F: Programmer
etal2009

Some 3D Models

Post by etal2009 »

Here are a few 3D building model designs created using Google SketchUp. There are more at the blog.