Dark Lightmaps in MeshLoader (Beginner Question)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
L o

Dark Lightmaps in MeshLoader (Beginner Question)

Post by L o »

Hi,

I am working on a level format importer from a foreign format to irrlicht using an own MeshLoader.

Now, it seems that I've done everything right, but the lightmaps I was given from the foreign format make the levels very dark. No wonder - when I extract them and watch the bitmaps in an image viewer, they're black on most parts (but the content looks correct).

Now, what do I do against this darkness? Should I convert the lightmap bitmaps into brighter ones (how does one do that?) or can I make them brighter after loading them (e.g. with SMaterial)?

Note: Without the lightmaps, it is all bright enough.

Greetings, and thanks for replies on advance,
L o

EDIT:

Here is a bitmap of one extracted lightmap bitmap:

Here is how a room of the level looks, as you see, much light is missing.
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

For those less versed in Descent3 than us, this is what is supposed to look like, minus the HUD, of course:
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I am working on a level format importer from a foreign format to irrlicht using an own MeshLoader.

Now, it seems that I've done everything right, but the lightmaps I was given from the foreign format make the levels very dark. No wonder - when I extract them and watch the bitmaps in an image viewer, they're black on most parts (but the content looks correct).
first you didn't mention what 'foreign format' you're using and how you load your mesh and lightmaps etc. how we know whether you have 'done everything right'? show us some code maybe. :?