Flatshading

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
koko775

Flatshading

Post by koko775 »

I'm a total noob to the engine, but it looked cool and i wanted to give a shot at figuring it out.

I have a specific question, but the docs look too scary for me to peek.

How do I turn on flatshading and what other options are there other than flatshading (assuming it's implemented)?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Do you mean cell-shading? Or gourand shading?

As far as I know, neither are implemented.

Also, the docs aren't all that scary and are the best that I've seen in a long time. Unlike most docs, it's actually documented with comments. This is highly uncommon os most documentation is just a simple dumps of functions using JavaDoc(or similiar app) without any explanations of what the function does.
Crud, how do I do this again?
koko775

Post by koko775 »

don't get me wrong - it looks complete and far more friendly than a lot of documentation, but scary nonetheless.

they're intimidating to me, a newbie to this engine, but not nearly as much as others.

EDIT: I've found http://www.gamedev.net/reference/progra ... elshading/ -- the original article which explained the concept behind flatshading...maybe someone more experienced with the engine than me can walk me through doing this or make an example and send it to me with directions on modifying (waaah i suck)
koko775

Post by koko775 »

it's a common asian trait, especially in my community, which has an extremely high asian concentration.

thanks for the links; i'll look into it...though when i tried it (the second link i believe, the non-nehe one) referred to some stuff i didn't have -- probably the weirdness between directx9 and 8.