E_MATERIAL_TYPE: how to combine EMT_DETAIL with lightmaps?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ayman

E_MATERIAL_TYPE: how to combine EMT_DETAIL with lightmaps?

Post by ayman »

Hello,

does anybody know the old Aquanox games?

The setting is under water. The terrain uses a diffuse map, a detail map and an animateted light map to visualize the sun light refracted by the surface waves.

From what I know from Irrlicht I can only use EMT_DETAIL exclusive or one of the LIGHTMAP material types.

But that can hardly be right because Aquanox used DirectX version 7. So current drivers should be able to do at least that. Am I wrong?

Thanks in front.
Ayman
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

You could combine the lightmap and texture map into one file, then use the detail map. You could write a shader to do it. Or you could try and draw your object twice. Those are the only three ideas I have.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
ayman

Post by ayman »

3DModelerMan wrote:You could combine the lightmap and texture map into one file, then use the detail map. You could write a shader to do it. Or you could try and draw your object twice. Those are the only three ideas I have.
Thanks for the input.
To combine the lightmap and the detail map came to me last night too. Shaders are beyond my capabilities. What do you mean with "draw your object twice"?
ayman

Caustics - found a free lightmap generator

Post by ayman »

I found a solution that is good enough for me: a special caustics lightmap generator.
This seems to be the proper english name for the effect I was searching for: the caustics effect.
And there is a free generator: http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/.