Making a "cartoon" shader work?(ASM ps.1.1)

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
eye776

Making a "cartoon" shader work?(ASM ps.1.1)

Post by eye776 »

Hi. I was experimenting with various (really old) ps1.1 ASM shaders I found on this website http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/postproce ... ssing.html.

This is not a standard "toon shader", the effect you obtain is similar to GIMP/Pthotoshop's "Cartoon" filter (it is applied on a rendertarget, or a texture).

While I got a few to work, I can't seem to make heads or tails of this one:

Code: Select all

ps.1.1

def c0, 0.3, 0.59, 0.11, 0

tex t0                     // sample the source image
tex t1                     // sample offset by (-1, -1)
tex t2                     // sample offset by (1, 1)

dp3 r0.rgba, t1, c0        // greyscale sample #1 in r0.a
dp3 r1.rgba, t2, c0        // greyscale sample #2 in r1.a

sub_x4 r0.a, r0, r1        // diagonal edge detect difference
mul_x4_sat r0.a, r0, r0    // square edge difference to get absolute value

mul r0.rgb, r0, 1-r0.a     // output color * edge detect
+ mov r0.a, t0.a           // output alpha
Any pointers or help to get this working?

I'm trying to use it for a preprocessing class (process textures when loading with various effects).

PS: I get a white output, but no errors regarding the shader itself.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Is there a reason you're using ASM instead of a higher level shader language like HLSL, GLSL, or Cg? They make debugging a lot simpler. Are you just targeting old platforms? You needn't worry about performance - the higher level shader compilers do a really good job of compiling the shaders into efficient code. Plus, they can be aware of the graphics card hardware they're compiling for, which can help them optimize it.
Bate

Post by Bate »

Also, you could develop it in a high level language and compile it once when you're done.
Never take advice from someone who likes to give advice, so take my advice and don't take it.
eye776

Post by eye776 »

I just realized that "t1" and "t2" were not set in the material.
Also, does irrlicht even support 3 textures on a material?

@slavik262:
It's not that I'm really "targeting" anything right now... I just don't want another aborted project on my HDD. :D
The shader was found on an old website, it appeared to do what I wanted it to without costing an arm and a leg in terms of processing power.

Anyway, will try setting the textures properly and seeing what happens.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Irrlicht supports up to 4 textures by default and up to 8 if you recompile it. Calls to SetMaterial automatically place the textures in the texture registers S0 through S7.