Elitism and Merit in the game development industry

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
eye776

Elitism and Merit in the game development industry

Post by eye776 »

It is not my intention to beat a dead horse in this post.

As most of you know, the game development industry is considered one of the more unpredictable as far as getting into it is concerned. I'm not going to enumerate the if and whys here since it all boils down to two factors, namely: MONEY and LOCATION (or Capital Availability and Industry Presence as some may put it).

Instead, I will assume that the two conditions above are met. Therefor I would like to ask a couple of questions. Spark a debate.

To make it more interesting, consider yourself both as the employer and the employee.

Here are the questions:

Given the current set of social and economical factors as of 23/07/2010, would you:
1) As an employer looking for a junior artist/programmer/level designer/etc., enforce a MERITORIOUS (Skill and/or Potential come first) selection or an ELITIST one (Top Education and/or Pedigree come first)?

2) As a job applicant for an entry-level position would you consider as more to your advantage your MERITS (portfolio and/or experience) or
your ELITIST traits (top education and/or pedigree)?

Please motivate your choice.

Also PLEASE NOTE that I am not currently looking for a position.

The reason I am asking these questions is to answer my own confusion as to the shifting nature of what was until three years ago a relatively stable set of entrance criteria.

I hope that these questions and their answers will also help other who find themselves weighing the same dilemma.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my own replies:

1) Under the social and economical conditions in my area (Romania), as an employer I would enforce a predominantly MERITORIOUS selection and only use ELITIST factors when there is absolutely no other way of differentiating two candidates.

Motivation: Bad economy. Few talented people that are willing to work for the provided salaries.

2) As a prospect employee I would primarily consider my MERITS to my advantage, but also strive as hard as possible for a diploma in the field (ELITIST). I will also mention that I would be quite the exception to the rule in my country (at least as I perceive it).

Motivation: Most employers here are not very business-sound. Managing to enter a dedicated studio requires lots of experience, but a diploma never hurts (and there are already lots of jobless graduates).
Arcoroc

Post by Arcoroc »

Interesting questions, and your points have merits.

Answering from category 1, the divide however between elitism and meritorious aspects of one's candidate may be a bit too manichean to really apply on the field. Sales and economy level feed sales and job growth ; Candidates are then generally considered based on a fit to the job description and target range of acceptable seniority for the position, established from resumes. Passed this first filter, experience of any sort, even for new grads as co-ops/hobbyists/entrepreneurship spirit, is always valuable when it can be demonstrated during the interview.

I would offer to recast the better chance to get a job, as a junior entrant, into the classic combination of access and interview performance. A question of whether your resume's content grants you access to an interview, and whether your communication style during the interview is prepared to deliver concrete examples of your abilities - knowledge, past experience of any sort, and ingenuity.

This is good news considering that if a specific position does accept a less senior profile, junior candidates will be judged on what they have done and what they can demonstrate having successfully created - but not necessarily against the highest education. Higher education does help determine your starting compensation range, though.

Best,
L/
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

I'm not planning on going into video game programming - I'm actually looking towards embedded development on portable devices, but I believe that what I say is true in all programming fields.

I believe that it's important to have a degree, which is why I'm attending a university in the fall (I'm 18 ). That being said, I know people who are getting a college programming degree but can't code their way out a wet paper bag. Conversely, I've only ever taken one programming class, but I've built up my skills out of my own interest.

I think education is important, but you can't substitute an education for the actual skills. Merit is extremely important.
Last edited by slavik262 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

I think education is important, but you can't substitute an education for the actual skills.
I agree. Anyone can go to a university if they have the money and don't slack off. If I were choosing between 2 people, one who went to a university and one who didn't, I would probably choose the person who went to a university. If both people went to a university I would look at their portfolio and their skills. I would choose the person who I thought had more talent and skills, even if the other person had a higher degree.
multum in parvo
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

IMO diplom means nothing. You`re not going to sell diploms. You can have the talent of entertaining people even if you cannot read a word. What you need is a nice result. And nice result is coming from the person with creative thinking, steady, hardworking, consistent. A person who likes his job, so he`ll do everything he can and even much more to create something meaningful and of a good quality. There are many people who can draw much better without anyone ever told them how to, without even a word of theory than someone reading books "learning" how to draw. Game design, I mean the real game design is a combination of many skills- much more difficult than writing a book or even making a movie. I really doubt any school can teach you how to "see things". Plus, this school will produce a batch of "same-way-seeing-things" fellows. Of course, it`s always nice to go and learn new things. Sometimes this can help you classify things you already know in your head and in your heart. Can give you the basis- show you the way. But deifinitely if I was an employee I would only compare the portfolios, the results achieved, because they are the real fruit of knowledge and hard work. You can give the same task to both candidates and indeed there should the "diplom" be seen- the "educated" one will implement the things he learned, so his work should be better. If not, what`s the point of his diplom? Are we out of nice paintings or photos to adorn our homes?

There are many proffessions who require a diplom- engineering, chemistry, pharmacy, medicine etc. Because you cannot create an engine without having a bare idea how enigines work. A self-educated pharmacist? You cannot simply born a heart surgeon, right? Well, a game designer/modeller/animatior/programmer/etc can be born talanted, self-educated and on just like that. An entertainer doesn`t need a diplom. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdZM1dT5A0 )

What about someone who cannot afford his degree? What about countries, where game-design and/or programming are never taught? Does this person mean less than someone with a CS degee? Should not. Any qualities as team work skills, organization and on will affect too, but diplom- no, never will...
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
eye776

Post by eye776 »

Sorry about forgetting to look over this topic.
slavik262 wrote:I'm not planning on going into video game programming - I'm actually looking towards embedded development on portable devices, but I believe that what I say is true in all programming fields.

I believe that it's important to have a degree, which is why I'm attending a university in the fall (I'm 18 ).
I had no idea you were this young. Man I'm getting old (22)...

On topic, I never really managed to graduate college... something I think should have been stated too in the beginning.
Your opinion is a very interesting one. I also thought a degree was important (still do, but in a different way), that is until college math got the best of me.
You should however finish college (even if the math is hard at least for the diploma) as it grants you an edge in most interviews.
Adler1337 wrote:Anyone can go to a university if they have the money and don't slack off.
That, my good sir is quite incorrect. :)
It used to be true perhaps 20 years ago, when there were far more opportunities for students willing to learn. Nowadays you need "A TON of money, AND not to slack".
shadowslair wrote:Well, a game designer/modeller/animatior/programmer/etc can be born talanted, self-educated and on just like that. An entertainer doesn`t need a diplom.
I know many programmers for whom that would be a very unflattering remark. Most of them don't consider themselves as actual entertainers (in the industry, those would probably be the mocap and voice actors).

Anyway, getting back to the subject at hand, if most news sources are to be trusted, the industry (at large, not talking about any particular small-medium studios) seems to be gearing up for a massive "ivory tower" walling-in. It might only be a passive fad, or it might actually be the beginning of the "heavy government regulation" phase for the industry, at least in the US, UK, Spain, Germany, S. Korea and Japan. So if anyone living there is thinking of getting in video game development, they should act fast.

On the other hand Eastern Europe, China, India and the Philippines seem to be a bit more relaxed in terms of hiring requirements, but that's mostly because they're outsourcing destinations.
mager

Post by mager »

Everyone says the industry is hard to get into - and that is entirely true, without a degree. People without degrees are often looked down on compared to those who do have one. And if your competing against someone who does, chances are they wont even think twice about you.
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

That, my good sir is quite incorrect.
I don't see how that's incorrect.
I said:
if they have the money and don't slack off.
You said:
you need "A TON of money, AND not to slack"
All you did was slightly rephrase what I said. :)
multum in parvo
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Im sure a well oragnised and portfolio of work can bump up your status even if you lack the qualification.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

omaremad wrote:Im sure a well oragnised and portfolio of work can bump up your status even if you lack the qualification.
Yes, I think also like that.

Good portfolio showing that you are able to do things, that in universities may be not teach.
For example, we can take Activision, or other game/graphics company that looking for employees,
which one they will take:
- experienced programmer with portfolio, where it's advanced projects using directx, physx etc, or
- students after studies, without proof that he can work in game/graphics industry?

I think knowledge is more important that nice looking paper from university.

(also, sorry for my english, i was not using it often for some months)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

to show that you have went to college/university doesn't really relate to your technical skills, but rather experience in working in a group. so if you had a formal education, the company will assume you are able to work comfortably in a team and understood the pipeline, which is a plus.

but still, you will have to prove your skills through portfolio. portfolio comes first, then only they look at your certificate. that what my lecturer (who is a producer in a local game company) told me.
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Virion said exactly what i meant.