[fixed] Tiled terrain - bright lines between tiles?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
pepeshka

[fixed] Tiled terrain - bright lines between tiles?

Post by pepeshka »

Hi all,

I'm building a starter project in Irrlicht that calls for a tiled floor. I'm building a somewhat naive implementation of the idea - just a simple array of tiles. I'm running into a weird visual effect, there are bright lines between my tiles in the distance (the effect is less pronounced, even gone up close):

I'm also getting the effect when the camera is up above a bit:

It doesn't appear to be z-buffer fighting, as I've played with the node positions a bit, and spacing them out more results in being able to see the background between the cracks - so I'm pretty sure they're lined up right.

The objects are just simple rectangles built in Maya, with a simple (non-repeating) texture, snapped to the grid and exported to OBJ.
Last edited by pepeshka on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

I already had this problem. Be sure you have normalized your mesh normals. If this problem still persist, that only means that your mesh is to big. Try to set its scale to lower value and check what you will get.

EDIT: I see that they are not well aligned, some of them are overlapping some other squares, and with vertex lighting the effect is more pronounced. Check again and again, im pretty sure its a problem with the Z fighting.
#include <Iyad.h>
pepeshka

Post by pepeshka »

Thank you for the help - it turned out to be because I had my camera's near value set to extremely close (something I was trying out while drawing an object attached to the camera)