I need a good compiler for ubuntu

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
raycosantana

I need a good compiler for ubuntu

Post by raycosantana »

Hey Im not that new with ubuntu but I have never programmed on it. Im used to microsoft visual studio and I cant find anything like it in ubuntu, there this compiler called anjuta I tried that its kinda like visual studio but I cant find the way to include header files and the libs. I found some tutorials on how to include those files but when I look to my version of it it doesnt has those options (WTF??) so I want a nice compiler that as easy to use as visual studio.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
conallmmcg

Post by conallmmcg »

try codeblocks , i've tried a few ide's on linux but i always go back to codeblocks, its cross platform too , it works on windows and linux and mac

http://www.codeblocks.org/

i think that one of the members of this forum has even made video tutorials on how to set this up for irrlicht, try searching the forums
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Code::blocks is IDE, tough it can be used to interface with multiple compilers, like mingw, gcc (don't really remember them right now).

I would suggest to use code::blocks as an IDE and a compiler that works for you best :)

Since code::blocks works on windows and on linux finding a tutorial for it shouldn't be too hard.

PS. Anjunta is also just an IDE
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Netbeans & gcc
http://netbeans.org/
conallmmcg

Post by conallmmcg »

i realise the op did use the word compiler , but from what i seen he's getting the compiler and ide mixed up. i could be wrong though. although he can just install codeblocks from the ubuntu repos.

note to op: if you haven't already make sure to install build-essential package which should install the necessary headers etc for development and the gcc compiler as far as im aware, then codeblocks will detect the compiler automatically .