Making a big game in irrlicht(like for example gta game)

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Lil Margin

Making a big game in irrlicht(like for example gta game)

Post by Lil Margin »

Hi all,

In my recent years i hear people say that making a big game such as a gta game is impossible with irrlicht but when i actually look at a technical perspective its very possible, to be honest i dont see why other peoples say that it cant.

Pleas leave your opinion why you would or not use irrlicht for a big project such as gta.
sudi

Post by sudi »

well i don't see why it should be possible. Ofcourse you would have to use a good lod system and probably a special scenemanager that culls all unneeded data. and also animations.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Well it's of course possible but you would have to implement some kind of resource streaming. I.e. not loading everything at the start but load and unload things on the fly.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

I think what you've been reading isn't as much about the technical limitations of Irrlicht. It's quite a capable engine. Like others have said, you'd just require some sort of LOD system and content streaming.

Rather, I think it's more that making a game as complex and massive as GTA is a huge ordeal. Professional games like that have teams of dozens of people working on them and they still take years. Be ambitious, but just be aware that something like that takes a lot of work. Maybe you should start with a smaller game concept so you can understand all the things that go into the production of the game.
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

slavik262 wrote:I think what you've been reading isn't as much about the technical limitations of Irrlicht. It's quite a capable engine. Like others have said, you'd just require some sort of LOD system and content streaming.

Rather, I think it's more that making a game as complex and massive as GTA is a huge ordeal. Professional games like that have teams of dozens of people working on them and they still take years. Be ambitious, but just be aware that something like that takes a lot of work. Maybe you should start with a smaller game concept so you can understand all the things that go into the production of the game.
I can confirm what slavik said.
I've once made the mistake to think I can make a GTA clone by myself.
It's still wip 4 years later... :)

To sum it up, it's possible to make a game like GTA with irrlicht, but you need a lot of resources and time.