3D Models Inverted

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Birdman

3D Models Inverted

Post by Birdman »

Why most models i export from Max, either in 3DS or DAE or X, show inverted ingame?

Any idea of what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks
The sleeper must awaken!
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

what you mean by inverted? inverted normal? wrong up-vector? maybe show some screenshots would help.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Virion wrote:what you mean by inverted?
x,y and z axis are exactly the opposite as it looks in MAX, its like the model is fliped or inverted when you load inside irr.

Im sure im doing something wrong in Max, but honestly i have no idea what. I had this problem with a small model i made last night, and same happened with some city map that was made by a friend in max too.

Edit: If i turn model in max manually 180 degrees it shows ok when i load it in Irr.

I cant take shoots, since im at work, but i made a Draw in paint to give you an idea of what happens to a model.

The sleeper must awaken!
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

i'm not sure about max's exporter. does it have some option that change the up axis when you export?
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Virion wrote:i'm not sure about max's exporter. does it have some option that change the up axis when you export?
This happens to me either in 3DS, X, or DAE, so its not a exporter problem, 3DS have no options to export except preserve max coordinates.

At first i tough it was a Panda X exporter problem, thats why i tested other formats.

Maybe the model inside max needs a modifier assigned or something, im exporting a modified Box that is now a editable mesh and i have the same error my friend got exporting a complete city with different objects.
The sleeper must awaken!
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

Have you tried exporting with "Preserve MAX coordinates"?
That sounds like it would fix the problem.
LazerBlade

When your mind is racing, make sure it's not racing in a circle.

3d game engine: http://sites.google.com/site/lazerbladegames/home/ray3d
lazerBlade blog: http://lazerbladegames.blogspot.com/
Bate

Post by Bate »

This is what you want:

http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/direc ... loads.aspx

3ds Max's default exporters are totally useless ;)
Never take advice from someone who likes to give advice, so take my advice and don't take it.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

@Bate: With x Files from panda i had the same problem.

@Lazerblade: Yes i tried the preserve coordinates in 3ds Exporter.
The sleeper must awaken!
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Then perhaps you should check this in MAX:

1 - Select your model in max
2 - Right click and select "object properties" from the contextual menu
3 - check the option "backface cull" from the options and click "ok"

If you see the problem in max, then it mean your faces normal are on the wrong side. It should have exported correctly with the Panda Exporter.

A quick way to fix this is to select all poly and select "flip" with the edit poly modifier...
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Thanks everybody for the answers, i finally got this working, the problem for my new model wasn't the normals, i recreated the model and it worked, idk what was the problem.

Also i had a physics problem, i been trying to use newton 2.25 but the samples i found for irr are a bit old so i got unexpected results as well.

I will have to check what was the prob at my friend's home, which exported complete maps and they were upside down as well usign panda also.
The sleeper must awaken!