Hi everybody! New guy in town!

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
jerrelDulay

Hi everybody! New guy in town!

Post by jerrelDulay »

Heya there! Thought I'd say hello! I've been using Irrlicht for one week now, after undergoing a very heated debate with myself as to which rendering engine to go with. I ended up picking Irrlicht because it looked clean and practical, and the participants and contributors to the forums all seem like such nice, helpful folks! This is rather unlike many other support forums!

I'm using Irrlicht to develop a generic game engine than can be used for pretty much any genre of 3D 3rd person game, ranging from classic RPGs, beat'em ups, to perfect Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time clones. I've previously been developing in environments which couldn't be ported, so at the moment, I'm strictly working with Irrlicht and C++.

Anyhow... after a week of busting my knuckles on the keyboard, I've got a quite functioning engine which I'm currently using for a classic-console RPG. It currently supports game event triggering, scripted events with arbitrary numbers of dialog windows with character movement and animation direction, a show-stopping game menu, virtual collision detection for "actors" and "props" in the scene, and a robust, very scalable animation engine.

I was hoping to have more of the engine completed at this point, but I've only been using C++ for about two weeks and it's a pain in my backside. It doesn't help I've had to learn brand new animating programs and techniques since starting Irrlicht. Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet you all! I look forward to working together and sharing with you all! Thanks for all the support you guys put into this forum! I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without you guys.

Cheers!
Jerrel

[/img]
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Hi, Jerrel! Glad you joined the show! I think you made a good choice. Looks like you`re doing very well so far. Looking forward for a Project Announcement topic for your game. See ya around! :D
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

Welcome, JerrelDulay! those are some nice screenshots. terrain textures could use a bit of help but other than that it looks like everything works. You should make a project announcements topic
jerrelDulay

Post by jerrelDulay »

Hi, thanks guys! I'm still experiment with Irrlicht a lot, as I really have very little idea as to its true capacities. Am I able to apply multiple detail maps to a terrain?

I LOVE free movies! I also love free iPhones. I think I'll click on that link.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

jerrelDulay wrote:Am I able to apply multiple detail maps to a terrain?
You should really check all Irrlicht examples, especially YourFolder\irrlicht-1.7.1\examples\12.TerrainRendering if you haven`t done yet.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
jerrelDulay

Post by jerrelDulay »

I have gone through most of those tutorials, and often refer back to them, but they are often missing some obscure bits of information. That tutorial in particular only use one detail map.