Screenshot of the Month December 2010 [Winner announced!]

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Best screenshot for December

Poll ended at Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 am

Loki1985 - GTA 3 in Irrlicht
16%
Lazerblade - Ray3D testing room
No votes
Cloves_rodrigues - Yohoshua Josue
No votes
Devsh - Realtime Global Illumination
9%
RuggJack93 - Toonworld
4%
Wing64 - Hair System - ARSA Framework
9%
Mel - Olimpus Demo 2.
47%
Bear_130278 - TB WorldMap view
4%
Digijohnny - FA-18 Marine Aviator - iPhone
11%

Total votes: 45

Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Would be an idea, but i didn't want to use it. Although it may not look like it, i am trying to focus on speed. :lol: Really the big problem there are the leaves of the trees, they are all transparent, and they are all receiving and casting shadows. It is madness!
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

It's a misconception that deferred is slower. It can actually be faster, and the really good news about it is that lighting is always constant time, regardless of scene complexity. The downsides to it is that it requires lots of VRAM and makes MSAA impossible with current hardware.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I wasn't using the forward rendering because of speed, but because of the antialias.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Cant see any aa in ur screenies and never did, have a look at project ninja star's screenshots after it went deferred
DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

devsh wrote:DoF is there to create a movie illusion not real life through the eyes (things go out of focus and that gets you looking in the right direction where the director intends).
Exactly. Which is why I don't think it has any real place in a game unless you are specifically trying to give the illusion that the player is viewing the world through a camera and not through their own eyes.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

DarkDepths wrote:
devsh wrote:DoF is there to create a movie illusion not real life through the eyes (things go out of focus and that gets you looking in the right direction where the director intends).
Exactly. Which is why I don't think it has any real place in a game unless you are specifically trying to give the illusion that the player is viewing the world through a camera and not through their own eyes.
This does, on the other hand, also create a lack of realism in some degree because irl your eye lens will always blur points not in the range of your focal point, so I think the highest degree of realism in a game would be attained by setting the DoF focal point to a point which the player is most probably looking at

Or you could always try to implement head/eye tracking (I have no idea whether eye tracking is probable/possible), which could be a fun project if you're into things like that ;)
fmx

Post by fmx »

Radikalizm wrote:
DarkDepths wrote:
This does, on the other hand, also create a lack of realism in some degree because irl your eye lens will always blur points not in the range of your focal point, so I think the highest degree of realism in a game would be attained by setting the DoF focal point to a point which the player is most probably looking at
That's what I was getting at: a hint of DoF and no more.
Although different people have difference ideas what makes a "good Game" so in this case the choice is Mel's entirely

[/OT]
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

No, indeed, there is no antialias on my screens. But i want the posibility to enable them at will.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

fmx wrote: Although different people have difference ideas what makes a "good Game" so in this case the choice is Mel's entirely
Yes of course, I was just giving my point of view ;)
Bear_130278

Post by Bear_130278 »

TB WorldMap view.
Featuring a mix of 3d and 2d techniques with plenty of Alpha blending.
Some advanced fonts.
Complex region+object picking... (look where mouse is hovering*)
Do you like VODKA???
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Hey Mel, have you ever heard of inferred lighting? It's a similar technique that might work better.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I saw it some time ago. I think it was too tricky, i mean, it is much mess for just lighting. I guess that the advantages also count, but i find it too dificult to understand ATM. In the mean time, i have optimized things. I got a sustained 26 fps rendering speed with an output in 32 bits instead of 64, which was the first one. If Irrlicht could handle R10G10B10A2, it would be perfect, HDR in 32 bits.
digijohnny

Post by digijohnny »

FA-18 Marine Aviator - iPhone

this is an iphone screenshot from the 3D cockpit of the current production version, Free version Due next year
you are sitting inside a 3ds F18

real transparent hud via render to texture plus my own terminal style font generator(will post in in the IRRdevelop section soon), same for the multi function displays, and rader screen
.... yes those are real cockpit buttons above and below the center display, the instruments below center are 3D objects,
everything else is my own gui overlay(ill post that soon too, i swear)

fa-18 marine aviator home page
http://www.digijohnny.com/MAF18CQ/
digijohnny

WHAAAAAT?

Post by digijohnny »

its still monday in new orleans right?