Will Direct3D and DirectX 11 be in a future Irrlicht?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
CloudVII

Will Direct3D and DirectX 11 be in a future Irrlicht?

Post by CloudVII »

Will they? If not will it be possible for me to incorporate them myself into a release of the irrlicht engine?
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

There already is a D3D10/D3D11 implementation for irrlicht in the project announcements forum, but I have no idea of how complete it is

You could of course always implement it yourself, but seeing as the irrlicht interfaces are built around a fixed function pipeline it will be hard to implement a programmable pipeline (since D3D10 and D3D11 do not support a fixed function pipeline)
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Radikalizm wrote:You could of course always implement it yourself, but seeing as the irrlicht interfaces are built around a fixed function pipeline it will be hard to implement a programmable pipeline (since D3D10 and D3D11 do not support a fixed function pipeline)
This is the main problem. Irrlicht is mainly designed as a fixed function engine, and would require a lot of retooling to move into D3D10 and D3D11.

That being said, you can use D3D9 and Shader Model 4 to do just about anything you could do in D3D10/11, except for geometry shaders. It compiles fine with the newest DX SDK.