Where does one Start?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Alpha Omega

Where does one Start?

Post by Alpha Omega »

So I must admit I am a programming/graphic design novice. I have always been interested in the subject and am the kind of person that likes to conquer difficult things however after some time on these forums trying to learn Irrlicht, and then realizing that using Irrlicht requires knowledge in C++ I have been able to make headway making some basic animations/games.

I could take more time in learning C++ fully because I only learned up to the implementation of classes to use Irrlicht. However I have found myself kind of disappointed that Irrlicht is a much higher level programming experience than say making the equivalent in OpenGl or DirectDraw. Seeing that this is only a hobby, what is the best way to learn graphics design in general? Should you try to work from the top down, or bottom up?

For example, I usually attempt a project in Irrlicht only to find out that I do not understand the underlying knowledge of the general mechanics of the engine. Sure the tutorials are great but when you attempt something much difficult than the tutorials things start to fall apart. From a novice to a veteran in this field what is the best way to get the most thorough understanding of the subject?

**I enjoy learning new things but only if I can regularly apply them**
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I think you may just need to spend more time experiment with Irrlicht. I myself have only a very superficial knowledge of DirectX and OpenGL, but I've done (what I consider) some more advanced things after toying around with it for a year or so.