Loading models and identifying limbs

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
openglman

Loading models and identifying limbs

Post by openglman »

Hi,

I have looked through the tutorials on how to load models and it is very simple. I am now trying to figure out how I can find out how I can identify each limb within a model.

So for instance, if I create a model in 3dsmax that is a simple human body with head, arms, torso, and legs. I have labeled each limb appropriately in my 3ds model and modeled each limb as a separate object.

My question is, is it possible using irrlicht to enumerate each limb so that I can highlight each limb as the mouse passes over it? I know I can use shaders to do the highlighting, but I just want to know if irrlicht will read in each limb and label from my 3ds model and how I can access that information?

Thanks
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

This is only possible for skeletal animated meshes. 3ds files are neither animated, nor using a skeleton (in Irrlicht), so you have to export into b3d, ms3d, or .x files. Then you should be able to access the joints (as they are called in Irrlicht) by name or id. You can get their current position, attach things to them, move them around, etc.
openglman

Post by openglman »

Great! thank you, joints!! exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers
openglman

Post by openglman »

One more question regarding this. There is a user property field that I am able to set in 3ds when creating my model. Does the irrlicht importer for any of the model types make use of this user defined property? I would like to be able to attach some meta data to my joints for use later.

I can't seem to find any information on it. Maybe I just don't know the terminology?

Thanks
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I don't think that any exporter will use it, there are simply no default places where such information could be stored. I know that either ms3d or b3d have a special bone information area, but it's not available from within Irrlicht either.
Better encode the information into the bone names. Or use an extra file and load the information separately.