Bullet Physics 'installation' help

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Whirled Peas

Bullet Physics 'installation' help

Post by Whirled Peas »

So I've been working with Irrlicht for a bit and am trying to implement the Bullet physics engine within the game engine. So I downloaded the SDK and the pdf manual indicates that I should use CMake to build my copy of bullet. However when I follow the instructions provided for doing it I create a directory for the build on my hard drive called 'C:\Bullet-2.77' and it seems to more or less work, however I get this result:

and the following messages in the console:
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG=+/D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1 -D_DEBUG
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG=/INCREMENTAL:NO /debug
OPENGL FOUND
glu32opengl32
WARNING: you are using the obsolete 'GLU' package, please use 'OpenGL' instead
Win32 using Glut/glut32.lib
WARNING: you are using the obsolete 'GLU' package, please use 'OpenGL' instead
is it ok that all the entries are highlighted in red? what about the empty check boxes? should I check them before hitting "generate"? are the warnings a big deal? What's the deal here?

I'm really confused here :?

Thanks in advance.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

your name is sounds familiar... whachever... :D

if you are reffering to irrlicht as "the game engine" it is not. it only draws graphics, not anything other.

it is my opinion to manually build bullet with code::blocks
however that is only my favorite preference, but it does work with no error for me.

to do it:

just build the individual MAIN modules ofthe bullets physics library

bulletCollision
bulletDynamics
bulletMath

there are a few other ones you need and a few header file dependencies but those 3 should suit needs fine for basic testing and most* game.
Whirled Peas

Post by Whirled Peas »

thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how to do what you say, the documentation that comes with Bullet simply says to use the CMake gui to build it and not much else, which isn't too helpful. I more or less had to use a combination of educated guesses and trial and error to get as far as I did.

So I'm not sure what you mean by building the individual libraries. So rather than keep poking around in the dark I decided to simply use this irrlicht bullet integration example that I found here:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 2b72302850

I figured that I would simply take the bullet header files and .dll's from there, saving myself the trouble of building it myself. However, while the executable provided with the example works just fine, when I load the VC++ project file with Visual Studio express I get this warning:
IntelliSense information will not be available for VC++ projects because the InteliSense database file
C:users\...\...\irrtest\irrtest\irrtest.ncb could not be opened for writing.

Other features will also be affected if the solution directory is read-only.

Now I change the whole 'irrtest' directory so that it isn't 'read-only' and run visual studio as an administrator, but I still get that error message.

then when I attempt to build the program for the example I get this runtime error:
irrtest.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point
?createDevice@irr@@YAPAIrrlichtDevice@1@W4E_DRIVER_TYPE@video@1@ABV?$dimension2d@H@core@1@I_N22PAVIEventReveiver@1@PBD@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library Irrlicht.dll.
which I'm guessing is a result of this line:

Code: Select all

irrDevice = createDevice(video::EDT_OPENGL, dimension2di(800, 600), 32, false, false, false, &Receiver);
however I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Of course if it was something as simple as a syntax error I would be getting a build error rather than a runtime error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Whirled Peas

Post by Whirled Peas »

UPDATE:

I managed to get the read only error problem resolved, but the second one is still a problem.

also, before anyone asks, yes I did PM the guy who wrote the example, and am waiting for a response.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

Do you tried code::blocks?
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

That guide to Bullet weirded me out as well. Basically it's setting up a Visual Studio solution so that you can compile Bullet directly into your executable.

If you want to simplify things a little bit, Bullet has various Visual Studio solutions in the msvc folder which build it into a .lib binary library. Once you've built the library, you can link it into your Irrlicht project. After that, you should only need the Bullet headers to use it.
Whirled Peas

Post by Whirled Peas »

thanks for the reply, actually I found the irrbullet wrapper which requires no building. So I think I'm gonna work with that.

thanks