Eden Rebirth [code & executable uploaded for help]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You should lock the texture and write the raw data. In Irrlicht 1.8 you will also be able to lock in write_only mode, which avoids downloading the texture data and update it as a whole. This avoids the texture creation overhead, and only uploads the data to the GPU.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Yep, lock+unlock is far faster. Especially if you use memset (or something like it) to set the data. For my terrain editor, I got painting on a 512x512 texture to be realtime at 200fps.
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

ok, *phew*, that's a bit faster...

Of course now I have problems langolier memory monsters, but I should be able to get that under control...
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

I got a bad feeling about this chewie
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

Ok, so anyway, I've been struggling away for the last couple of weeks trying to get all this going, and the more I try and fix it the worse it seems to get.

So I'm uploading the entire project (code & executables) and anyone who reckons they can beat it into shape is welcome to have a go at it.

Note : the project *does* require the following libraries:
- Irrlicht 1.7
- WxWidgets 2.9.1
- Anti Grain Geometry 2.4
- Libnoise

It's not really using libnoise anymore too, so just remove references to it if you're having trouble getting it going.

License wise, basically do what you want with it, just share the results here on the forum so other people (ok, me) can play with it too :)
Fingers crossed I'm just doing something (really) stupid and the whole idea wasn't doomed from the start...
(vector based textures on a spherical LOD system for completely scalable resolution)

[ http://www.showmethatagain.com/eden/ede ... 130000.zip ]
It's about 30MB and the release executable should be working out of the box...

Be warned, it crashes my machine at work (crappy video card?) but runs fine on my laptop holding steady at about 100MB of ram.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

u should remember also to add microsfot runtime libraries or the project won't run on those computers wich has not microsoft visual studio installed on . ( i tested it and runned only in the PC with visual studio)

good work. :) I wait for more features.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

ah yes, sorry about that...

re new features, not much point working on them until the current issues are resolved... :(
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

hmmm... just found one huge chunk of wheel spinning...

cell_definition.cpp was recalculating the fractal cell border for multiple cells every time a new tile texture was being drawn, but this is completely unnecessary, cell segments can be calculated once when a cell is instantiated then just stored (cached) in a vector to be retrieved with a simple get method.

:) a light at the end of the tunnel again!
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

Anyone have any luck getting past the dependencies?
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Ultramedia.

Got the application launching after installing VC++ 2010 redistributable.

Got the planet (black), some meshes at the center (cubes + head). The FPS I had is around 76fps.

Got some flickering colors (green/blue) once I pressed some keys (ASDF)

I have a GeForce GTX460
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i have the exact same thing as christianclavet dual 4850 mobility in cfx
ultramedia

Post by ultramedia »

Thanks guys,

The uv coordinates for each tile need tweaking, the real problem at the moment is the snag in the frame rate when the tiles flick around to the other side triggering their textures to be redrawn...