[Team Needed] Orion Conflict - A Space RTS [ No payment ]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

I might look to far into the future now, but this game was released in 2002, and i have played it, it looks good for that time, with cool explosions etc.
A Space RTS? why not!
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

Radikalizm wrote:You should be able to do all the latest graphical stuff in irrlicht as lang as you know what you are doing and if you have some extremely talented artists and programmers, who aren't afraid of digging into the engine to modify some things (flexible vertex formats, anyone?) and remove things they don't need
I might look to far into the future now, but this game was released in 2002, and i have played it, it looks good for that time, with cool explosions etc.
Thats why i asked, i know i cant make a state of the art game, thats why i showed the images, because a game from 2002 doesn't have all of the latest features, thus less stuff to happen ( but still a large amount to be done )

Oops: sorry for the double post, everytime i post something i get a error :S
A Space RTS? why not!
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Maybe we should fix something in the forum like "mmo rpg ideas rules" or "what is irrlicht capable of" like the forum rules (like if anyone read that....).
This is getting boring....
But on topic, like other ppl said man, try to learn stuff and show work and you maybe will be able to find a nice team to help you. But you'll never find a thing without some kind of work (that YOU made it yourself).
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I never said it was impossible to make a state of the art game, some independent hobby programmer teams have come up with incredible games, it's just that these are rare cases

If you really want to do something like this, I again suggest you to look into C++, this will not only teach you how to design game elements and how to implement them, but it will also give you an idea of the scope of a game
Once you have the feeling you know how much work has to go into a game like that you can make decisions and start planning out the features you think are possible to implement (with or without a team) in a certain timeframe

I do have to say however that you shouldn't expect to write something of this magnitude while learning C++, you should start off with some really simple projects to get a grasp of real-time programing and game dynamics
Put this project on the shelf, and keep it in the back of your head as a goal to work towards, look for some C++ tutorials, ask for help in the beginner forum (it's ok to ask programming questions over there), and do some really simple projects with irrlicht (think tetris, or pacman) until you have the feeling you could take on a bigger project

When you have all this experience, other people will show more interest in your project and will be willing to help you by joining your team, which gives you better odds at creating a game with some good gameplay and cool effects ;)
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

Radikalizm wrote:I never said it was impossible to make a state of the art game, some independent hobby programmer teams have come up with incredible games, it's just that these are rare cases

If you really want to do something like this, I again suggest you to look into C++, this will not only teach you how to design game elements and how to implement them, but it will also give you an idea of the scope of a game
Once you have the feeling you know how much work has to go into a game like that you can make decisions and start planning out the features you think are possible to implement (with or without a team) in a certain timeframe

I do have to say however that you shouldn't expect to write something of this magnitude while learning C++, you should start off with some really simple projects to get a grasp of real-time programing and game dynamics
Put this project on the shelf, and keep it in the back of your head as a goal to work towards, look for some C++ tutorials, ask for help in the beginner forum (it's ok to ask programming questions over there), and do some really simple projects with irrlicht (think tetris, or pacman) until you have the feeling you could take on a bigger project

When you have all this experience, other people will show more interest in your project and will be willing to help you by joining your team, which gives you better odds at creating a game with some good gameplay and cool effects ;)
Thanks for telling :D, i am currently doing administration, but when this year is up i will go to do computer stuff, and after that gaming :D, i might even wait until i have learn it on school about C++ and then return ;) with this idea!
A Space RTS? why not!