Solid Angle??? Help?!?!

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
devsh
Competition winner

Solid Angle??? Help?!?!

Post by devsh »

Hi guys, as you may well know I am only 16 and I dont do much of calculus (I can integrate and that is about it). I would be very thankful for some explanation of how to calculate a solid angle, cause terms like differential area make no sense to me

The reason I asked is because I am trying to extend ATMOsphere with realtime atmospheric scattering approximation to create a skydome with a movable sun. Then I am trying to convert the entire hemisphere into a spherical harmonic by pingponging (blurring it down to a single pixel/mipmapping). However I need to attenuate each pixel by it's solid angle (because the pixels don't have a uniform size due to wrapping). So any help would be appreciated, the pixels lie on the unit sphere so that shouldn't be a problem. Do I need the 4 corners of a texel on the sphere?
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

If you know hot to get the angle of a vertex. You can get also the angle using shaders varying interpolation.. If you are using the Skydome scene node that's enough. If you use the Skybox maybe there will be some "strecthing" artifact near the center of each face of the box. (you probably will see that center of the faces is brighter or darker)

I'm thinkining that you are trying do to a skydome like the one of Fallout 3 so that's can be enough.

you need only few "steps" vec4 for color gradient and need to know the position of each vertex.

If using skydome make diagonal brighter liners from the top of the sky to the bottom you should probably switch to a UV skysphere (but i think sky dome is already UV subdivded so at worse you need only to change subdivision parameters).

I suggest you to take a look at euclidean space. IT is a very good site for math.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I dont need graphics shader explanation, I need the formula for the Solid Angle which is the portion of a sphere occupied/occluded by some shape/polygon.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

euclidean space has explained everything you need.

http://www.euclideanspace.com/physics/m ... teDish.htm

most interesting things come into play when you merge math (trigonometry, vectorial, differential) with gpu computing power

http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geo ... /index.htm
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me