Porting B3D support to a closed-source port

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Alonguy

Porting B3D support to a closed-source port

Post by Alonguy »

A week ago, I got a PSP, and started programming homebrew for it. While learning about the PSP, I also found out that there was an Irrlicht port for PSP called the "LTE Engine". I was pretty excited, seeing as I love Irrlicht, and have been using it for about 2 years now. I went to go get it, and their website seems to have disappeared. So, I went on a long search to find it, seeing as I didn't feel like porting Irrlicht. I finally found a copy, and compiled the demos for my PSP. But, then I ran into a problem.

The LTE engine is a closed-source library, based off Irrlicht 1.0, which doesn't support .b3d meshes. (AFAIK)
So, my question is, how would I port the .b3d mesh support from a later version of Irrlicht to 1.0 without modifying the source? I keep reading that Irrlicht can support custom formats, but I don't know how you would do this.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I can't live without .b3d format.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

LTE has been made public later on. But it's still an illegal rip-off due to violations of the copyrights of Irrlicht. And after all, that version did not work well with PSGL anyway. Better plan for developing a new driver for PSGL on your own, based on the latest Irrlicht versions. Should be much less hassle.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

The animation system had quite an overhaul not long after that time, with changes to many of the interfaces. We also had const-correctness changes too, which were interface breakers. So yeah it will be quite a bit of hassle, you'd be better off starting with the SDL device and adapting the OpenGL driver to use PSGL.

The hard part will be clipping triangles to the display as they're rendered, but you can snag the code from that from Burning's video driver.

After this, just rename all the namespaces to remove anything that mentions Irrlicht, delete all the copyright messages, claim you wrote it and close up the source code; LTE is reborn! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Alonguy

Post by Alonguy »

Yeah, I don't like it too much, either!
It even makes you display THEIR splash screen. If you choose not to, your device will close after 10 minutes.
I was expecting them to AT LEAST add new features before calling it their own, too.

Also, it would crash my PSP whenever I set the starting frame of a animated mesh to -1.
And, it doesn't have some functions I need, like rotationToDirection for my vectors. So I had to re-write the function myself.

Yeah, it's too much of a hassle. Guess I'll go try SDL and PSPGL.
Wish me luck.