giving the impression of an endless repeating scene

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
pe_ank

giving the impression of an endless repeating scene

Post by pe_ank »

Hi there, basically i wanna make a scene that infinitely repeats in all directions, can anyone give me a clue how? or maybe just pointing me to some links, thanks!

almost forgot my simplest concept is when the camera view reach the end of level/scenes it should automatically draw the opposite view of the scenes, but that just for the camera.
nespa

Post by nespa »

try this way :

-load the worldmap or the world mesh 4 times;
-make as the current world the containing camera world;
-make camera range less than size_world/2;
-get each frame the camera position resulting which quadrant it is in;
-position the others world at the corresponded quadrant;
-when the camera passes outside of the current world, make the current world the world containing actual camera position;

take a look here:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7561/fourmaps.jpg
Last edited by nespa on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

yeah it's work, but i guess we'll be lack of performance if we load a huge scene...don't we?...hey, how 'bout this, if we place camera on each quadrant(near each border end), and true we need to reduce the camera farValue, so we only need to switch which camera is active.....????(yeah something like that... :wink: ) maybe it will give the same result....thehehehe...thanks dude!
nespa

Post by nespa »

this it is not a good idea for a huge map, it is to simulate a huge map, scrolling others smaller maps
Bear_130278

Post by Bear_130278 »

Make it a sphere 8)))
Do you like VODKA???
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

Bear_130278 wrote:Make it a sphere 8)))
indeed my friend, my mega super bbrain acknowledge that, but i'm to brilliant to do that....so any advice on how to do that :)

well at least some method, if you don't mind....
:oops:
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I personally wouldn't suggest a sphere, unless you actually want a spherical effect
To create a seemingly flat plane you'd need a pretty huge sphere, and it would be a much worse pain to manage than a paged terrain for example
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

Radikalizm wrote:I personally wouldn't suggest a sphere, unless you actually want a spherical effect
weww...maybe you're right, but then what you're best approach then? i try to create 4 camera and additional 1 camera, but found problem with the sky when i switch the camera
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

If you're looking for a completely open terrain this could become a problem, if you'd pose some limitations on where you could go on your terrain you could use a streamed terrain which repeats after a while
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

"streamed terrain? :? " don't know that yet.....but i think i'll try to cover that later or if i've got a dead end...anyway thanks a lot dude, that give me another option to try! :)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

pe_ank wrote:"streamed terrain? :? " don't know that yet.....but i think i'll try to cover that later or if i've got a dead end...anyway thanks a lot dude, that give me another option to try! :)
It's a technique of loading and unloading parts of your terrain from disk when needed, it can be hard to do without bottlenecks but it can produce huge terrains without memory overhead, and could be adjusted to support repeating terrains
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Is there a tutorial on streamed terrain somewhere ??
It sounds like what I may need to try on my server side proggy
code happens
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

Radikalizm wrote: It's a technique of loading and unloading parts of your terrain from disk when needed, it can be hard to do without bottlenecks but it can produce huge terrains without memory overhead, and could be adjusted to support repeating terrains
Hmmm....sound interesting, would you mind pointing to some link, uh..oh i mean not the whole source code, but the main concept.....(well, some example will be nice too :) ), i really appreciated if you do that...thanks again dude!
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I believe the DirectX SDK has a sample implementation of a terrain streaming mechanism, you could always check that out
pe_ank

Post by pe_ank »

i see, although i'm not to friendly with DirectX, guess i'll check up that too....many2 thanks dude :)