is irrlicht easy to use?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
jamesguize

is irrlicht easy to use?

Post by jamesguize »

i remember this pony girl when i started this post, she told me that i must post my posts into other posts, but i cant coz' there are another topics in each questions... specially this one, it might be odd for you guys...

does irrlicht uses a full script based programming or drag and drop? and is irrlicht a kind of game engine for beginners?
Hello There, I am a begginer, can you help me with the models, or can you show me a website where there are free models, thanks...
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

1. please pleeeeeeeease stop spamming. like seriously.

2. irrlicht is written in c++, there are tools like copper cube and irredit that allow you to save 3d graphics scenes and manipulate them with a gui. there might be some script language binding somewhere out on the net though. i know our user devsh was working on a python binding, not sure if he still is though

3. irrlicht is _not_ a game engine, it is a graphics engine.

4. your last question "is it good for beginners" totally depends on many things.

a. how motivated are you?

b. if by complete beginner you mean fresh out of script kiddie school then it will not hurt to look at a few c++ basics tuts

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

If you really want to learn irrlicht your best option is to read through ALL of the tutorials at least twice, attempt to reproduce them (without just copy-pasting them) and understand them

If you don't know how to program yet, read up on some C++ tutorials or books, then attempt to do the tutorials

If you have done all of that and have any questions afterwards you can ask it here on the forums

We are happy to help you, but you could easily answer these questions by doing 5 minutes of research (and doing your own research is essential for becoming a good programmer), keep in mind we won't hold your hand throughout the process, and we don't really tolerate spamming ;)
jamesguize

Post by jamesguize »

am not a spammer, i just make post, and not spamming other persons, sexy...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

and as said in the downloadpage:
Irrlicht SDK 1.7.2 :arrow: Software development kit required to develop :arrow: applications with the Irrlicht engine. Included is the documentation, the source code and a precompiled version of the engine, 23 tutorials, some useful tools, exporters, a cool interactive demo wich shows the capabilities of the engine, and a lot more.

its means it creates softwares or applications and!!! i searched the net just to find irrlicht engine, and what i searched is best easy 3D game engine...
Hello There, I am a begginer, can you help me with the models, or can you show me a website where there are free models, thanks...
Luben

trololololo~

Post by Luben »

jamesguize wrote:i remember this pony girl when i started this post, she told me that i must post my posts into other posts, but i cant coz' there are another topics in each questions... specially this one, it might be odd for you guys...

does irrlicht uses a full script based programming or drag and drop? and is irrlicht a kind of game engine for beginners?
Yes, it was designed for space travel. Heh, really, it would be stupid not to, so i agree with you. I personally like the one with a horn that goes back and forth, it used to totally mesmerize me back when i first saw it. And yes one can write topic on posts in posts, even for posts that are posts on posts in posrts! like this!! but no, irrlicht is like a beginner for game engines, we drop stupid respones that drag us down to the prehistoric level of intelligence, so yes yes yes drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'
drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'drag'n'drop'n'bam! no script used for this baby!

If you'r serious then i'm sorry, otherwise disregard my signature.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

@Luben:
:D

@jamesguize:

You do realize that irrlicht is not some program which magically makes games for your right? I get the feeling that you're just someone who wants to make this 'suppr aw3s0m3 game z0mg!!' and googled 'how to make game, lulz' and ended up here

Irrlicht is a rendering library, if you don't know what that means, then you don't belong here
Try something like gamemaker if you want an application that magically makes a game, or go spam the boards over at gamedev.net, they get people like you every day
jamesguize

Post by jamesguize »

dude, i know GML(Game Maker Language) from im from yoyogames, and found them really bad and the d3d fuctions are really slow that is why i tried to find another game engine with a forum too, and a friendly universe, with fast 3D rendering and found irrlicht... dude, im not imagining... and dude, can you tell me where do you guys get your 3d models? do you make those, well i have Maya and 3DS max, i kind'a know a little modeling but not that good enough to be called as a begginer, meybe im just a noob or beginer to modeling that is why if you can give me a tutorials ill be delighted to read those tutorials... :)
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

then irrlicht is probably not going to be anything like you expect it to be.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Again, Irrlicht is not a game engine, you could build your own game engine using irrlicht, but irrlicht itself does not provide any functionality besides rendering

Try to get a copy of the latest irrlicht SDK (try to figure out your sourceforge downloading problem), and check out the tutorials provided with it

About your models question, some people on here make their own models, others buy (eg. at turbosquid) or find them online
jamesguize

Post by jamesguize »

so your saying that the description is a lie? WTF???

and i heard this pony girl saying that there are plugins for irrlicht on importing other functions(or sumthing like that), so is there a GML kind of this plugin?
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

The engine description does not state that it is a game engine anywhere, it clearly states that it is a rendering engine, nothing more, nothing less

And there are different wrappers for incorporating other libraries like physics and audio available here on the forums, if that is what you mean, but there's no such thing as a plugin for GML

Now please, stop asking stupid questions, follow our advice, and come back after you've learned something
jamesguize

Post by jamesguize »

dude the pony girl said:
script language binding
so i thougth its a plugin... peace... and is the a script language binding to irrlicht from Game Maker Language?

and what is the rain engine at your signiture? can you describe that thing...
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

The only script language binding I've seen on these forums lately was for Python

And the rain engine is my own game engine which I'm building from scratch
jamesguize

Post by jamesguize »

tell me once your done with that and ill be the first one to download...
and what scratch are you using? an application on your computer, Irrlicht or a paper?

and is there any actual game made with irrlicjt already?
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

jamesguize wrote:tell me once your done with that and ill be the first one to download...
and what scratch are you using? an application on your computer, Irrlicht or a paper?

and is there any actual game made with irrlicjt already?
First of all, I'm not sure if I will be releasing it, and if I'm releasing it I'm not sure if it will be free or not ;)
From scratch means that I started from the bare essentials, I did not use any pre-existing wrappers or pre-made engines to build it (so that means no irrlicht)

Check the project announcements forum, there are lots of games made with irrlicht