Networking Library

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Elfinitiy

Post by Elfinitiy »

serengeor wrote:
Elfinitiy wrote:Ok so i looked at the Network libraries,and they seem too complex.
Are you sure it's for your abilities to do this project? I mean if you can't even handle a networking library how are you going to put up all of the stuff you need for the game to make it work?
I've been programming my single player marble game project for about 1.5 year(?) and it still nowhere near to finish. I don't even have a good demo.

One thing is to want something, other thing is to be able to do it.
Why didn't you read the
I can actually make something close myself
part.
By complex I mean writing a lot of code,the same amount as using pure WinSocket 2.
And Again,the game is not a super ultra mega 16D game that is better than Crysis 32767.Its a simple 2D game.I made some models,and got a login screen.First step is just to make a player login.Next to make multiple players see each other,and so on step by step to make a good game.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Elfinitiy wrote:
serengeor wrote:
Elfinitiy wrote:Ok so i looked at the Network libraries,and they seem too complex.
Are you sure it's for your abilities to do this project? I mean if you can't even handle a networking library how are you going to put up all of the stuff you need for the game to make it work?
I've been programming my single player marble game project for about 1.5 year(?) and it still nowhere near to finish. I don't even have a good demo.

One thing is to want something, other thing is to be able to do it.
Why didn't you read the
I can actually make something close myself
part.
By complex I mean writing a lot of code,the same amount as using pure WinSocket 2.
And Again,the game is not a super ultra mega 16D game that is better than Crysis 32767.Its a simple 2D game.I made some models,and got a login screen.First step is just to make a player login.Next to make multiple players see each other,and so on step by step to make a good game.
Well you could try raknet/boost::asio. I don't think you really need a to be >18 to get free license of raknet.
Or you could even use some more low level stuff and build your own networking lib.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
hendu

Post by hendu »

Hm, neither openplay or grapple are in that wiki? I'll go add ;)
Virror

Post by Virror »

Cant find anything in the RakNet agreement that you need to be 18, so i guess you are good to go. Its very easy to set up, takes 5min to get a connection to server set up. There is a tutorial on the wiki here but that one is outdated, so i recomend using the tutorials on the RakNet webpage.
Elfinitiy

Post by Elfinitiy »

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I think i'l try RakNet.
nathanf534

Post by nathanf534 »

Enet is very nice, I just found it this morning, and already have it working. You don't even need to compile a library, I just copy the few source files into my project.

http://enet.bespin.org/index.html
while(signatureEmpty){cout<<wittyComment();}