Xenoforge : An experiment in experimental FPS design

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
captainkitteh

Xenoforge : An experiment in experimental FPS design

Post by captainkitteh »

So I have completed a playable demo of my game. I have decided to call it "Xenoforge". Xenoforge is basically a Quake 2 style arcade shooter. It involves fighting aliens that were "ripped off" I mean inspired by Halo Covenant :) Right now I got the Elite and Grunt equivalents done. Xenoforge is still in development stage thus using many placeholder graphics. So please don't mind if you see something broken. This is what the game looks like now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP8SWLA2y2w

Still crappy graphics but in a better color scheme I hope ! I am trying to emulate a LEGO style look actually. So expect graphics to improve better in that direction rather than vain attempts at becoming photorealistic.

Anyway the game can be found in Sourceforge now. Search for Xenoforge. You can get the latest version from it's download page herehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/xenofo ... aytesting/.

Please play it and tell me what you think. Your comments on what worked and what did not and/or sucked are invaluable to me. :)
Insert witty saying
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

Hell yeah lego quake

Look very interesting! :D
captainkitteh

Post by captainkitteh »

There is actually a seperate LEGO Quake mod. I saw it long after I started development though. 8)

My original graphics inspirations were - in order of importance.

- lack of money to make photorealistic assets

- word of padman

- a little known game called XIII....it has the most amazing comic book graphics ever.
Insert witty saying
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

What's up with the weird white graphical glitches? (seen on the vending machine an some other surfaces)
Seems to me like a problem with your specular lighting

Other than that, keep working on it ;) You've already got some good results, but you still have a long road ahead
captainkitteh

Post by captainkitteh »

Radikalizm wrote:What's up with the weird white graphical glitches? (seen on the vending machine an some other surfaces)

Other than that, keep working on it ;) You've already got some good results, but you still have a long road ahead
I used Blindsides celshader. Unfortuantely i have ZERO knowledge of shader programming. If someone can point me to an easy way to use cel shader I would be very happy. :)
Insert witty saying
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

captainkitteh wrote:
Radikalizm wrote:What's up with the weird white graphical glitches? (seen on the vending machine an some other surfaces)

I used Blindsides celshader. Unfortuantely i have ZERO knowledge of shader programming. If someone can point me to an easy way to use cel shader I would be very happy. :)
Cel-shading would be rather weird to me in a game like that, but it'd be awesome if you could make it work

Needless to say, something's going wrong with the shader, I'd try to help you out if you could show me which shader it is exactly and how you're setting it up in irrlicht (although best not in this thread)
captainkitteh

Post by captainkitteh »

I have uploaded the source !

If anyone wishes to collaborate please let me know.
Insert witty saying