Going Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise [SOLVED]

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
g0bl1n

Going Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise [SOLVED]

Post by g0bl1n »

For the life of me I can't figure out how to make a object turn clockwise or counterclockwise based on which way is closer (because the direction switches from 0-360). I've tried searching google, but I have been unsuccessful so far. So I guess I figured I'd turn to the forums!

Any ideas?
Goblin
Last edited by g0bl1n on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

what type of object is it and how are you trying to turn it clockwise and anti-clockwise?

Are you using physics, animation, code?
Mikhail9

Re: Going Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise

Post by Mikhail9 »

Notice that no matter what, you are never more than 180 degrees from the orientation you are seeking. Consider that case special (because you can turn in either direction). In all other cases, one direction is a shorter rotation.

So compute the "delta": delta = current - desired

If the magnitude of delta is 180 degrees, turn either direction by 180 degrees.

If the magnitude of delta is less than 180 degrees, turn that far in the appropriate direction (which is determined by the sign of delta).

If the magnitude of delta is greater than 180 degrees, the shortest rotation crosses over the 0/360 wrap-around that is confusing you. That's OK, just either subtract or add (as appropriate) 360 degrees to delta so that it becomes 180 or smaller. Proceed as before.

Try drawing some of the cases (both simple and confusing) and the final algorithm should come to you.
Xaryl

Post by Xaryl »

Code: Select all

float v = fmod(dest-current,360.0f);
if(v<0)
    v+=360.0f;
if(v>180)
    v-=360.0f;
printf("turn %f\n",v);

conceptually, the first "if" is with "fmod" to create a mathematical mod (fmod returns negative number if given negative number)
g0bl1n

Post by g0bl1n »

Thanks all! Solved!

g0bl1n