Havok Animation/Physics now free for commercial use

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums

If you could, would you use Havok?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 12

LizardGamer

Havok Animation/Physics now free for commercial use

Post by LizardGamer »

Havok have made a new program called the 'Havok Strike Program' where you can choose from 3 different programes:

1. Small Budget Deployment License: For Budgets below $4 Million
2. Prototype Development License – Low One Year License Fee
3. Havok Binary Version – Free for Commercial Development

Havok Site: Click here

I myself am going to ask Havok if I can get a binary version of there Havok Animation/Physics for Windows, Linux and Mac.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I've used Havok before with irrlicht, it's a nice engine overall, but I prefer bullet nowadays because of the source access and licensing

It's nice that havok wants to open up to developers with lower budgets tho, but I'm sticking with bullet
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

Radikalizm wrote:but I prefer bullet nowadays because of the source access and licensing
I would prefer Bullet physics too, but I would go for havok just because of their animation engine.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I think that bullet forced havock to that decision. Havock is still older than bullet, but bullet is totally free and full featured
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Kojack

Post by Kojack »

Havok Animation/Physics has been free for commercial use for around 3 years (may 2008).
The only major difference I can see in the strike program's binary option is that ps3 is now free too, whereas previously it was just the pc version.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Kojack wrote:Havok Animation/Physics has been free for commercial use for around 3 years (may 2008).
The only major difference I can see in the strike program's binary option is that ps3 is now free too, whereas previously it was just the pc version.
The TryHavok binaries were free, but weren't allowed in commercial applications, that's the main difference
Kojack

Post by Kojack »

The TryHavok binaries were free, but weren't allowed in commercial applications, that's the main difference
The TryHavok license:
If you plan to sell your commercial PC Game above a retail value of $10 USD, (or equivalent amount in other currencies based on prevailing exchange rates at the time of launch), you must first request a no-charge PC Game distribution license from Havok at www.havok.com/PCgamedistribution, prior to retail release of your game. This PC Game distribution agreement is required to ensure you have complied with Havok logo, copyright, and attribution requirements, and that your application is a PC game (commercial non-game application distribution is not allowed). There will be no fee associated with this because the license fee has been covered by Intel under a commercial agreement with Havok.

If you plan to sell your commercial PC Game for a retail value of less than or equal to $10 USD, the PC Game distribution license is NOT required from Havok … knock yourself out!
Commercial games under $10 require nothing. Commercial games over $10 require a FREE game license.

The only thing you can't do for free is make a havok based commercial non game. But the strike program page mentions games several times but not non game applications, so it may end up with a similar restriction.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Ah, it seems I was mistaken, thanks for clearing that up :D

Either way, I don't like to mess around with more or less restrictive licenses too much these days, so Havok still wouldn't be my first choice