Jewels of Egypt - Using Irrlicht for 2D

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Innesoft

Jewels of Egypt - Using Irrlicht for 2D

Post by Innesoft »

This game was finished a while back, but I didn't post it here, hence it's not in project announcements. I made this when I was experimenting with various engines before I'd settled on Irrlicht as my engine of choice, and oddly enough it was the 2D capabilities of Irrlicht I used for this puzzle game, and I thought I'd post it here to show that Irrlicht is actually pretty capable when it comes to fast 2D-in-3D graphics.

Jewels of Egypt is a match-3 puzzle game with 50 levels of the usual gem-smashing gameplay you can expect from a genre that's been milked to death, but can still be a pretty fun time-killer.

More info: http://www.innesoft.com/74-software-jew ... egypt.html

6 Level Demo: http://ftp2.bmtmicro.com/Setup_JewelsOfEgypt_DEMO.exe

Irrlicht is a great choice when it comes to 3D graphics, but you don't see a lot of 2D examples, so I wanted to see just how much you can squeeze out of it for a fast-paced 2D game, and it performs pretty well - even with particles flying everywhere.

It uses an ancient build (Irrlicht 1.5) so I'd be pretty interested to see if anyone's done anything similar with a newer version. :roll:
randomMesh

Re: Jewels of Egypt - Using Irrlicht for 2D

Post by randomMesh »

I have to admit that i don't like this type of games, but yours looks very polished and fancy. Well done!
"Whoops..."
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, nice one. Maybe you want to port it to a newer version on your own, and make an iPhone or Android version of your game now?!
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

hybrid wrote:Yeah, nice one. Maybe you want to port it to a newer version on your own, and make an iPhone or Android version of your game now?!
Not sure what you mean, this is an old project and I've no intention of doing anything else with it. Just thought I'd post it as an example of 2D stuff done with irrlicht.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I was referrring to this one
Innesoft wrote:It uses an ancient build (Irrlicht 1.5) so I'd be pretty interested to see if anyone's done anything similar with a newer version. :roll:
And thought that you might want to make some money from your nicely looking game.
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

hybrid wrote:I was referrring to this one
Innesoft wrote:It uses an ancient build (Irrlicht 1.5) so I'd be pretty interested to see if anyone's done anything similar with a newer version. :roll:
And thought that you might want to make some money from your nicely looking game.
Ah, yeah.. well, as randomMesh said, match-3 isn't everyone's cup of tea. This was a worthwhile experiment and I'm quite pleased with the performance, but I don't much like the idea of doing a whole series of match-3's - I wouldn't mind using a newer build for something else in 2D though. :wink:
umen

Great looking game

Post by umen »

How long did it take you to build it ?
Innesoft

Re: Great looking game

Post by Innesoft »

umen wrote:How long did it take you to build it ?
Can't even remember now, probably no more than 3 months.
umen

short time for first time game (if its first ..)

Post by umen »

great to hear im new and its great to hear , did you got good revenue out of the game ?