help with dust in my computer

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

ive been thinking about time travel in general (not neccesesarily in games) and ever since i was young child. hoefully when i am done working on mny current project i can find some time to test out some concepts. would be fun. :D

one key concpet would be to have a custom transform. 3d x y z, orienation, and time. however that assumes time as a linear strip in a higher dimension media. also that does not make too much sense when you remember objects like ourselves dont exist at one point in time, but have a "duration". however THAT has its faults as well, since matter and energy are not created or destroyed, only change form.

so it is not theobjects themselves which change position in time. it is the current "viewpoint" that changes. also it doesn't make any sense that an object "changes position in time", since we use "before" "aftor" "during" RELATIVE to our current "viewpoint" it would not make sense to assign a delta offset value to a object in time, unless we implement a higher dimensional media.

however i think this may be resolved with a cousin of quaternions, i assume it exists, since to accurately describe a system in n dimensions you need like a system that describes properties of n+1 degrees

example: to accurately draw on a _2d_ screen (our computer 3d graphics) you need 3d information. in order to avoid that information loss you need one more dimension.

like we see world in 2d, but we only have illusion of 3d.that is we cannot see behind objects, unless they are transperatn, but that doesnt really count, since those "objectS", like glass and stuff, are not really "transperant", but only have certain percentage of light passing through their atoms...

...wiat.. what was i talking about. i thhink i deviated..

EDIT:

there is a concept i developed i do want to test, it has to do with "changing" timelines.
it is bit hard to explain in text, but let me give analogy.

so say you have a laser, it is perfect, never deviates. this laser is special. it is a theoretical laser that projects out to infinity in 0 time.
'
now say you have glass box, it too is perfect, no bad seams etc.

now shine laser, logic has it that ALL 100% of box will be lit with infinite amount of light. however if you can "choose" on point along that laser light, which bounces etc. you can well, see where it is going to be really. now if you place maybe another small mirror somewhere in the box the light "equation" WILL change, however the final "integral" if you may, will not, the box at the "end", whatever that is, will be infinite lit with light, but nevermind that.

that point is, develop a solver algorithm, that quantifies an analogous "curve", kind of like quantififying calculus on digital computers. and simply use to solve it.

my hope is to use cude and parrallel for solving. of course not a literal implementation of the mirror box example but something higher up to be able to illustrate for example.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Ok, can't really follow your trail of thought here, first of all because it's 3AM (and I've been working on a university project for 12 hours straight) and because your post is pretty chaotic :D

Keep in mind though that a quaternion is not the same as a 4-dimensional vector, just like a regular complex number is not the same as a 2-dimensional vector (although they look alike), since a number of the family of real number extensions (be it a complex number, a quaternion, an octonion, etc.) always contains both a real and an imaginary part, while a vector is always to bound to a certain number system, so don't mix up the two

Also, be careful with the concept of time as a 4th dimension in a mathematical concept, time is not compatible with the concept of a euclidian 4th dimension so don't get your theories mixed up

Thinking about this kind of stuff might be exciting and all, and it's all cool and science-fiction like, but try to not get sucked in too deep, after a while you'll start to read about string theory and alternatives to string theory, and that's something you should stay away from if you appreciate your own mental sanity (unless you have to do research on it, or whatever)

Of course, you should do what you want to do, just giving some advice here :D Also, when looking into a time-travelling concept for a game, you shouldn't be digging this far, you should only try to create the illusion of time change (eg. objects in your scene getting destroyed, or returning back to their original state, people getting older/younger, etc.), don't bring up any complex analysis

I'll talk more in the morning, need sleep now, I'll be having Java nightmares tonight
hendu

Post by hendu »

What kind of time travel do you mean? As in Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Chrono Trigger, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time?

Something else completely?

In the postmortems of those games the devs have mentioned how difficult it was to make time shifts work properly, since everything now affected everything. And those three are still fairly limited with regards to time.
Radikalizm

Re: help with dust in my computer

Post by Radikalizm »

The Mask wrote:Just close the things which dust come from and put a cloth on top of your monitor or CPU and cover the holes.
I know you're here for spamming and whatnot, but to those who are reading this thread:
Don't ever cover any of your PC's ventilation holes whatsoever, this could cause serious overheating issues and maybe even fire