rotate scene node

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Varn1807

rotate scene node

Post by Varn1807 »

How can i make an animation to rotate a scene node for 180 degrees and then stop.
Is there a specific function?
Because CreateRotationAnimator it rotates it non-stop. I want it to stop after it rotates 180 degrees.

Thanks
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Doesn't seem to be supported so far. So you have to write your own animator for that.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Varn1807

Post by Varn1807 »

and may i ask some ideeas how to do that??
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

I would take the source of the RotationAnimator as a start point. Then simply add a check if the rotation is 180 degrees and from there on stop any further rotation.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Varn1807

Post by Varn1807 »

thanks for the advice I have done it :)
now for another question( i'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions ), i don't need any code I only need ideas.
for example how do you make a scene node appeear , it does it's animation, then another one appears, it does it's animation and so on.
I don't want all of them to appear at the same time and do their animations, I want them to appear in an order.
Thanks
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Varn1807 wrote:thanks for the advice I have done it :)
now for another question( i'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions ), i don't need any code I only need ideas.
for example how do you make a scene node appeear , it does it's animation, then another one appears, it does it's animation and so on.
I don't want all of them to appear at the same time and do their animations, I want them to appear in an order.
Thanks
You might need another layer for logic to do this and do the things exactly as you said yourself.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Varn1807

Post by Varn1807 »

have no idea about layers :| can you explain a bit
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Varn1807 wrote:have no idea about layers :| can you explain a bit
I mean on top of irrlicht framework that would do what you want. It might be some Object classes that hold nodes and manipulates them the way you need. Also a manager for those object would be nice (Like scene manager irn irrlicht). It's up to you to design it.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
brick

Re: rotate scene node

Post by brick »

I have a somewhat similar question. Nodes that I have created can be moved by WASD keys. I want them to face the direction in which they're moving. Say, if they're facing east, I want them to instantly turn west when I push A. However, I just can't seem to find a way to turn the ndoes. There's a rotation animator, but that's not what I want. I just need the node to instantly turn around. Is there a method which takes the angle of rotation as a parameter, and then instantly performs rotation?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe go throught the examples first. They have a purpose: Learning the basics of Irrlicht. Anyway, check the scene node API. There's also rotation and movement without animators.
brick

Post by brick »

You're right, thanks. I've found a way to rotate it successfully.