Valve Hammer Map editor

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
PredaNoob

Valve Hammer Map editor

Post by PredaNoob »

Is it possible to use Hammer editor to make maps for Irrlicht, and then import the things in the map the same way that is done in .irr files?
Because IrrEdit is no longer free and the last version supports only Irrlicht 1.5 :(
omg_fail

Re: Valve Hammer Map editor

Post by omg_fail »

You can normally use irredit 1.5 with all curent realeases of irrlicht.Also you can write add-ons for irredit on your self so its very nice .With this valve editor...it depends,on what format you export your map.
PredaNoob

Post by PredaNoob »

BSP usually. Don't know if Hammer can do any other?
If irredit 1.5 works then I will use it then :D
Great news ^_^
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

bsp is not bsp. There are many different versions which all export to some bsp file format. Only q3 bsp maps are supported by Irrlicht, and most other bsp formats will certainly fail.
You can also use the coppercube tool by ambiera, which can export to .irr as well. It's free to use for the case of Irrlicht exporting.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

You can export your map to different format if you need to (.obj) using a tool called crafty (LINK).
It will require some tweaking though as some entities in half life are invisible when using some specified texture (like "aaa", "clip") I don't know if these get removed or just get exported as regular objects. You would also loose entity information AFAIK.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
PredaNoob

Post by PredaNoob »

hybrid wrote:bsp is not bsp. There are many different versions which all export to some bsp file format. Only q3 bsp maps are supported by Irrlicht, and most other bsp formats will certainly fail.
You can also use the coppercube tool by ambiera, which can export to .irr as well. It's free to use for the case of Irrlicht exporting.
Oh I see. I'll be compiling in half-life 2 maps, so I guess that's out of the question :(
Unless.. hammer can compile q3 maps. I'll have too look it up.
Btw, are Q3 maps still good? Or do you recommend I use another (newer) format?
serengeor wrote:You can export your map to different format if you need to (.obj) using a tool called crafty (LINK).
It will require some tweaking though as some entities in half life are invisible when using some specified texture (like "aaa", "clip") I don't know if these get removed or just get exported as regular objects. You would also loose entity information AFAIK.
I'll try it out. Thank you!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

q3 maps are still ok in that they combine quite a lot of information that Irrlicht supports (see the q3 maps example 16). So if you need lightmapped scenes with quite some amount of geometry and some special effects (texture animation, spawn points) it's your format. I think that someone also worked on hl2 maps, maybe they can be supported somehow in Irrlicht. Some bsp formats are even almost identical, so you could also just try to load some examples.