how to export animations and scenes with blender

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
NothanUmber

how to export animations and scenes with blender

Post by NothanUmber »

Hi,

I've got some animated actors (no bones atm) and some larger scenes modelled and textured in blender and want to bring them to Irrlicht. (I haven't found a md2- nor a milkshape-exporter capable of exporting animations for blender) Is there a feasable way to transfer my stuff without writing my own exporters?

Thanks,

Ferdinand
corban

Post by corban »

hi,

afaik there is no direct way to export all data (anims, textures, etc). but have a look at www.elysiun.com, go to the "blender python & plugins" forum, there is a sticky thread that contains all existing and working scripts for blender. all you need to find is and exporter script that exports the wanted data to ANY format. the format it exports to does not matter as long as it is some common 3d format like 3ds or so. you can then use quick3d (www.quick3d.com i think, you need the professional version) and convert it to a quake3 level. quick3d is shareware, it works for exporting but be aware, it tries to "phone home".

i had not the time for this research, but when you succeed, PLEASE post a reply (here) and let me know, cause i want to do the same as you :D .

corban
NothanUmber

Post by NothanUmber »

Hm, I'm not too shure whether 3ds is capable of storing animations in theory... the 3DS-exporter from Reevan McKay only handles meshes and textures at the moment... perhaps VRML2 is an option for you. I also found an (untested) script that exports animations to Microsoft's DirectX .X format - could be an option for the future 0.5 release of Irrlicht.
I'm planing to write a presentation-tool that should be useable directly at the clients location - so a conversion-process with many tools involved is not an option. So I'll go with Ogre for this project, because it supports my tool pipeline (a user wrote an export-module for blender that is even able to handle armature-animations). But I will further on have a close look on the Irrlicht-development ;)

dF
NothanUmber

Post by NothanUmber »

Yesterday, I experimented with not animated objects a little. (You don't need a converter for that. 199 € is a 'little' bit expensive for a file converter anyway - if you want one, I'd suggest Milkshape3d. Costs only 25 € and additional to it's conversion capabilities it's a passable* low-poly modeller, too. (*)I subjectively prefer blender for modelling purposes, but Milkshape is well known e.g. in the Mod-scene)
Both 3ds and obj formats directly work in Irrlicht. All I had to take care for is to use only triangular meshes (Irrlicht seems to have problems with quads) and to join everything to the same object (Relatively positioned (parented) objects wheren't exported correctly). Seems to work that way. Regarding animations I only see the three already mentioned alternatives: Write a md2- or a milkshape-exporter or wait for .X-support in Irrlicht (and eventually revise the corresponding .X exporter - the directx-viewer from the sdk was not able to view files generated with the script). Milkshape whould be the way to go if you need skeletal animation for 0.4

dF