optimizations for mobile ?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dark chazz

optimizations for mobile ?

Post by dark chazz »

Any tips for performance optimization on mobile (android+ios) ?
ofcourse other than lowering the poly count...

A nice culling technique for static meshes would give a nice performance boost, don't you think ?
Man I remember the days of half-life, 10k triangles in a map, only 200-300 rendered at a time :o
Radikalizm

Re: optimizations for mobile ?

Post by Radikalizm »

dark chazz wrote:Any tips for performance optimization on mobile (android+ios) ?
ofcourse other than lowering the poly count...

A nice culling technique for static meshes would give a nice performance boost, don't you think ?
Man I remember the days of half-life, 10k triangles in a map, only 200-300 rendered at a time :o
Most culling methods require their share of time too, so it's pretty project-specific
We don't know exactly what you're trying to do, so we can't really suggest any optimizations, the only thing I can tell you is that you should profile your code and see where the possible hot spots are and work on getting those to execute faster or less frequent
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

A:"I have a game. How can I make it better?"
B:"Let me take a quick look at my crystal sphere..."
A:"While you do that, tell me please what the weather at my birthday next year will be. I`m planning a pool party."

Seriously, it highly depends on the game, scene etc. And optimization for android/iOS is in no way different from any other platform. Sure, the idea is to process only the data you need, so it depends on the data(code). As Radikalizm stated optimization will need to be done with caution, sometimes it may not be worth coding a few days for a tiny improvement.
only 200-300 rendered at a time :o
Haha! This ain`t an optimization. It`s an empty scene. Unless it`s a 2d game, only hardcore gamers may like it. :D
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
dark chazz

Post by dark chazz »

Thanks for the replies, and yes, I'm a newbie so....
shadowslair wrote:Haha! This ain`t an optimization. It`s an empty scene. Unless it`s a 2d game, only hardcore gamers may like it. :D
Ever heard of half-life? 1998's game of the year?

That might not be a well detailed map, but it's a good example nonetheless.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Ever heard of half-life? 1998's game of the year?
Nah, I was living in a cave until a year ago. I have a jocko-teacher, teaching me how to type the keyboard right now. In fact I grew up with even older games, and yes, I can say I`ve heard of it. But thanks for the tiny screenies. Somehow they remind me of devsh`s a bit, despite that his are a bit more interesting. BTW, you missed to screencap the camera looking to the plain sky, where the rendered polys are 0. :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
hendu

Post by hendu »

If you use any shaders, remember that the mobile drivers are crap:

http://aras-p.info/blog/2010/09/29/glsl-optimizer/