Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
hendu

Re: Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post by hendu »

Now with textures on. Damn tri-planar mapping is expensive.

Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

10.000 GPU based billboards rendered in a single draw call :)

I guess that with a terrain things would look better... :P
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hendu

Post by hendu »

So, point sprites and maybe instancing?
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

No, there is no instancing, It is simply a lot of square polygons. So far, i don't know how to use point sprites in Irrlicht, Maybe i am reinventing the wheel ^^U

Anyway, it is already improved to have fog, wind and support for tangent space. But with 16 bit indices, it can't have more than 16384 billboards inside a single meshbuffer
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, point sprites would allow for 65k quads. But since Irrlicht does not provide a way to use vertex buffers with special primitive types, it wouldn't be a GPU based rendering. So probably not faster anyway. But you do the alignment in the vertex shader then?
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Yes, that's it. Actually, think of each billboard, they are quads, in which each vertex is placed in a corner of the normalized texture space. So, placing the vertices in the center of each quad, and moving them to their proper place using as reference the mapping coordinates, you can process all the quads of a mesh so they face the camera, and that's pretty much everything. The good point is that simply with the position, and the texture coordinates, you can create the rest of the information you need, and, as they are simple scene nodes, they can be rotated, translated and scaled like anything else.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Even with a shader rotating them, point sprites would be faster though. But if Irr doesn't expose them, you'd need to do manual GL.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

As I said, you can use point sprites. But it's not possible to combine them with the hardware mapping hints (yet). So right now it's either or.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Sorry, I misunderstood your post as not even with sw draw calls.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Billboards integrated in the project :)
fmx

Post by fmx »

What framerates do you get? and how many polys in that scene?
You should use this screenshot in the competition instead of the other one :wink:
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@fmx: My guess is: abt. 24k for character model + abt. 10k for the visible part of the scene. FPS are probably in the 80-120 range. :)
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

27k for the character, and as for the visible stage, you aren't counting wha lies behind that part, which has around 5k triangles more. So, around 15k. The framerate is around 80 fps. I chose the other screenshot for the contest because i wanted to focus on the billboards, not the character.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Add some random scales to the grass = perfect (maybe some color variation too if possible). by the way you some have shinny rocks there :P
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I have already added the color variation. The scales and the wind... I hope to achieve that effect soon...