the "Welcome to the Irrlicht Engine" thing

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
niko
Site Admin

the "Welcome to the Irrlicht Engine" thing

Post by niko »

As you can see, I added this "Welcome to the Irrlicht Engine" thing at the first page of http://irrlicht.sf.net. It's intended for new people arriving at the page, lots of other webpages have a similar welcome text, and I think it is useful. This is the first thing everybody reads, coming to the homepage the first time, so the text should be nice. But my english is not the best as I am not a native speaker, and so my question is: Is the text ok? It is currently:
The Irrlicht Engine is an open source high performance realtime 3D engine written in C++. Is is completely cross-platform, using D3D, OpenGL and its own software renderer, and has all state-of-the-art features which can be found in commercial 3d engines.
We've got a a huge active community, and there are lots of games in development, using the engine. You can find enhancements for Irrlicht all over the web, like alternative terrain renderers, portal renderers, world layers, tutorials, bindings for perl, ruby, phyton, and so on. And the best: It's all completely free.
Any suggestions, corrections? Not only language, and spelling corrections, maybe something you want to add or change?
wornaki

Post by wornaki »

Phyton is really spelled python. There are two a's. Great idea anyway!
t

Post by t »

Sounds good to me.

"games in development, using the engine." I'd say "games in development that use the engine".
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

you also said
Is is completely cross-platform
and like Wornaki said
We've got a a huge
and you should probably change the : to a , in
And the best: It's all
and change
has all state-of-the-art
to "has all of the state-of-the-art...", but then again I'm no English major.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Ok, I've changed it that far. :)
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

You didn't change the
Is is completely cross-platform...
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Uh :shock: , yes. Another bug fixed now. :)
Raumkraut

Post by Raumkraut »

It's certainly readable, but here are a few of my suggestions, just to be an English pedant ;)
...open source high performance realtime 3D engine written...
"...open source, high performance, realtime 3D engine written..."
...using D3D, OpenGL and ...
"...using D3D, OpenGL, and ..."
(not so sure about this one)
... has all of the state-of-the-art features which can be found in commercial 3d engines.
"has state-of-the-art features found in many commerical 3d engines"
(this is partly because of the "which" introduced in my next suggestion)
...lots of games in development that use the engine.
"lots of games in development which use the engine."
And the best: It's all completely free
Something about this doesn't feel right (though I don't mind the whole "starting a sentence with 'and' myself". I would suggest instead:
"Best of all: It's completely free"

Take it or leave it, I don't mind either way. :)
t

Post by t »

Raumkraut wrote:It's certainly readable, but here are a few of my suggestions, just to be an English pedant ;)

Interesting that: Americans would say "that", but Englishmen would say "which". Strictly speaking, that is more correct, but then Shakespeare etc all used which in that context. Personally I prefer "which" in that context, but if writing for an international audience I'd use "that".

Post by Guest »

t wrote:
Raumkraut wrote:It's certainly readable, but here are a few of my suggestions, just to be an English pedant ;)

Interesting that: Americans would say "that", but Englishmen would say "which". Strictly speaking, that is more correct, but then Shakespeare etc all used which in that context. Personally I prefer "which" in that context, but if writing for an international audience I'd use "that".
Do you assume this on the basis of one Englishman's post, or is this a general thing you've noticed?

Being from England myself, I would have used "that" over "which". If indeed he had have used which, it should have been preceeded by a comma:

lots of games in development, which use the engine.

But to me, that sounds horribly wrong.

"lots of games in development that use the engine" is more correct; "which" just ruins the flow of the sentence.

Anthony
http://www.micromadhouse.com
http://www.darkvisions.co.uk
DarkVisions

Post by DarkVisions »

Previous post was me...doh!

Anthony
Raumkraut

Post by Raumkraut »

Fairy nuff. :)

"which" just sounds better to me, and IMO "that" is way overused. :)
t

Post by t »

Anonymous wrote:
t wrote:

Do you assume this on the basis of one Englishman's post, or is this a general thing you've noticed?

Being from England myself, I would have used "that" over "which". If indeed he had have used which, it should have been preceeded by a comma:

lots of games in development, which use the engine.

But to me, that sounds horribly wrong.

"lots of games in development that use the engine" is more correct; "which" just ruins the flow of the sentence.

Anthony
http://www.micromadhouse.com
http://www.darkvisions.co.uk

Anthony,
My comments were based on experience as a whole, dealing especially with slightly older English writings, like those of George Orwell.

In strict grammar, "that" is considered a different type of pronoun to "which". "That" is used to restrict the previous clause, where "which" is used to elaborate. Microsoft word's US grammar tries to fix that, often incorrectly putting a comma after which when it is being used in the former way.

Personally I prefer the sound of which, but when writing for international audiences, I use "that" more often.

Americans will often go so far as to say "the car that was red" rather than "the red car".
Isometric God

Post by Isometric God »

Aside from using either "which" or "that" ( which is all the same to me 8) ) I thought that a nice picture would make the website more attractive.

Everybody likes pictures, huh ? :shock:
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

dont you mean "that is all the same to me" :lol: